Unable to Enable TouchID on new iPad Air

Options
gct3o
gct3o
Community Member

My sister-in-law just got a new iPad Air and I helped configure it for her. Most things went fine except that 1Password would not permit us to turn on TouchID.

When I tried to enable touchID a modal dialog appeared telling me to go to the settings app and to enable touch ID for the iPad. It was enabled and being used (see attached screenshot).

I had her force quit 1Password and no luck. I next had her shutdown and restart the iPad and again no luck. We have not yet tried uninstalling/reinstalling the app because I'll need to go to her place to help out in case something goes sideways.

Am I missing something about the setup process here? Are there any additional things I should consider when I go help her out? Would like to minimize the back & forth.

Thanks very much!

Chip

Comments

• Hello @gct3o! 👋

I'm sorry that your sister-in-law isn't able to use Touch ID to unlock 1Password on her iPad. So that I can better understand the situation can you confirm that she is able to unlock the iPad itself using Touch ID?

Reinstalling the app sounds like a good troubleshooting step. Before doing so make sure that she sees all of her items when she logs in to her 1Password account on 1Password.com (in the browser, not the app). She should also take the time to download and save her Emergency Kit before reinstalling the app.

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• gct3o
    gct3o
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave,
    Should have added a bit more to my original post.
    Yes touch ID did work when it came to logging into the iPad. This was only an issue with 1Password.

I did go through with the reinstallation of 1Password and everything works as expected now.

As far as the Emergency Kit goes, I am not sure there is value for her in this case. She in her mid-70s and is new to password managers so if I downloaded it and told her where it was I do not believe she would know how to access it or what to do with it. She is a member of my 1Password family and I am the admin. Worse comes to worse, I could use her iPhone to get to the Emergency Kit info or I suspect there might be something I can do through 1Password.com to remedy any problems.

Thanks very much for your help!

• @gct3o

I'm happy to hear that you were able to resolve the Touch ID issue.

As far as the Emergency Kit goes, I am not sure there is value for her in this case. She in her mid-70s and is new to password managers so if I downloaded it and told her where it was I do not believe she would know how to access it or what to do with it. She is a member of my 1Password family and I am the admin. Worse comes to worse, I could use her iPhone to get to the Emergency Kit info or I suspect there might be something I can do through 1Password.com to remedy any problems.

I'd say that there is still value in downloading and safely storing the Emergency Kit. If something happens to you then another trusted person else can use the Emergency Kit to help your sister-in-law access her account if she loses access. In general, a copy of the Emergency Kit should be stored somewhere secure like a personal safe.

If you're the family organizer then you would indeed be able to help recover her account: Recover accounts for family or team members

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.