I still cannot figure out how to properly save new accounts

Options
danito
danito
Community Member
edited August 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

In the older versions of 1Password it was very easy to save newly registered accounts during creation. It would automatically ask me if I wanted to save it and even if something went wrong there I could easily convert the generated password to a log in.

With the current version - and I might be missing something here - nothing is automated. I have to manually open the 1Password app and enter all credentials by hand and copy & paste, including the URL and the generated password. The generated password I have to retrieve from the browser extension by clicking on the extension icon -> the hamburger menu -> password generator -> password generator history -> copy & paste into 1Password.

This can't be right, right? What am I missing?

1Password Version: 8.10.9
Extension Version: 2.13.0
OS Version: macOS 13.4
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hey @danito,

I'm sorry for the difficulty you are having when saving a new account. Here is the expected save flow:

1. Go to a sign up form and enter your username/email
    2. Click into the password field and choose the 'Use Suggested Password' prompt beneath the field
    3. In the save dialogue that appears give it a title and click 'Save'

Can you let me know if this works as expected for you? Feel free to give it a try on out test website: https://fill.dev/form/registration-email.

You may also find this guide useful: Get to know 1Password in your browser.

Let us know if you have any questions.

• danito
    danito
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for the late reply.

• I actually did not realise that the 'Use Suggested Password' prompt beneath the field came from 1Password. I thought it was from Safari/Keychain/macOS for some reason... 😬
    • This does indeed work on the test side. It unfortunately doesn't seem to work on sites where I already have accounts, though. Seems like a niche but it happens surprisingly often that I need to create another gmail account or something similar.

Anyway, thanks for your response!

• @danito

Thank you for the reply. If you're logging into a website that you already have a username and password for then you can save that username and password in 1Password by typing in your username and password and then clicking on the Save in 1Password button:

You can find more information about saving logins in the browser here: Save and fill passwords in your browser

Let me know if you don't see that button on a particular login page. 🙂

-Dave

• danito
    danito
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Dave, I was referring more to the situation of creating a new log in for a site that I already have multiple log ins with, all saved in 1Password. E.g. yet another gmail account for a specific purpose.
    But it's not a big deal.

This discussion has been closed.