Disable Signature Check

Options
Endareth
Endareth
Community Member
edited August 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Is there any chance that the ability to disable browser signature check is still buried somewhere, or failing that, any chance of it being re-added? Alternately, is it possible for 1Password to include signatures for LibreWolf? Switched back to it again, and disappointed to be missing the 1Password integration.
And no, using the 1Password browser plugin is not viable—that's clearly never been tested fully with multiple accounts and huge numbers of accounts (I've raised tickets around that in the past).

1Password Version: 8.10.12 (81012010)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13.5
Browser: LibreWolf 116.0.2-1

Comments

• Hey @Endareth,

Are you referring to the integration between the 1Password browser extension and the 1Password app? I'm not sure what you mean when you say the plugin is not viable, can you provide me with a little more information?

I have a couple of options that may allow you to fill in Librewolf:

1. You can now add a trusted browser within the Nightly version of the 1Password for Mac app. Here is some more detail on this: https://1password.community/discussion/140735/extending-support-for-trusted-web-browsers#latest

2. Alternatively, you can try using Universal Autofill to fill your credentials in Librewolf. Here's how: Use Universal Autofill in apps and browsers on your Mac.

I hope this helps!

• Endareth
    Endareth
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response, I’ll definitely try those options.
    The two main reasons I don’t use the browser plugin are first, lack of biometric unlock (when not integrated with the desktop version), and more importantly, no way to easily switch between accounts/vaults/collections on the fly. As an example I have something like 30 or more AWS logins across multiple accounts/vaults, all organised into collections. With the desktop app I can easily switch to the collection I need then a few keystrokes to do final selection. Unless I’ve missed some recent changes, with the browser version I still have to manually scroll through a dozen or two items to get to what I need.

• Endareth
    Endareth
    Community Member
    Options

No luck with either option. Unfortunately Librewolf isn't signed (they claim not to see any benefits in doing so, and I'd normally agree with them). And Universal Autofill doesn't fill any fields, so not sure what's broken there (I select the credential, but nothing gets populated).

• Endareth
    Endareth
    Community Member
    Options

@steph.giles Any ideas why Universal Autofill isn't working in this situation? Anything to do with the lack of signature by any chance?

• @Endareth

Thank you for the reply. For security reasons, Universal Autofill requires a valid code signature on all apps that it fills into. If Librewolf isn't signed then Universal Autofill won't be able to fill into that browser. Here's what I see on Librewolf's website:

we do not notarize the macOS version of the browser

And here's what I see when I check Librewolf's code signature: Signature=adhoc

For this reason, you won't be able to use Universal Autofill with Librewolf and the browser also won't work with the new trusted browsers feature since that requires that the browser have a valid code signature.

With Librewolf not being signed, the two best options are:

1. Use 1Password in the browser without app integration.
    2. Use another browser that is signed by the developer.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#16253

• Endareth
    Endareth
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for confirming that @Dave_1P. If I get some spare time I might see about building a signed binary (though I think they cross-compile from non-macOS, so not going to be straightforward). Other than that, guess I’ll just ping the LibreWolf guys and try to persuade them to start signing.

• Sounds good. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.