Came from Lastpass, where is the Password Generator in this App?

Options
cuyuni
cuyuni
Community Member

I am coming from Lastpass, and I am missing the Password Generator. How comes this App cannot generate passwords from an option from the App or the Web?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_timothy
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hi @cuyuni, thanks for writing in!

With 1Password for Android you can generate a password when creating or editing an item either in 1Password or in another app/website through the Autofill menu.

In 1Password for Android:
    1. Create or edit an item.
    2. Tap a password field.
    3. Select Create a New Password > Use.
    4. When you're done, save the item.

In another app or website:
    1. Tap a sign in/up field.
    2. Tap "Open 1Password" (If locked, unlock 1Password).
    3. Tap "+ New Login" to create a new login. Search for an item by title then tap ⋮ > Edit (pencil icon) to edit.
    4. Tap a password field > Create a New Password > Use.
    5. When you're done, save the item.

You can use similar steps to generate passwords in the other 1Password apps. With the 1Password browser extension available with desktop browsers you can also generate passwords outside of items:

Let us know if you have any questions or if there's anything we can help with!

• cuyuni
    cuyuni
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, this is a little bit convoluted for what I need it, just to generate a password without creating or editing an item. Needs to do 4 steps in Android and 5 steps on the website........

• Thanks for the feedback @cuyuni, I'm sorry this work flow has been a bit convoluted.

Just to clarify, the process with the 1Password browser extension would be: click the 1Password icon in the tool bar > ☰ > Password Generator, and shouldn't require five steps.

With the 1Password apps, password generation is tied to items to help avoid situations where a password can become lost. Generating a password is also often related to an event where you're creating a new account or updating an existing one.

Could you share how you typically use a password generator or what you usually use a password generated this way for? I'd be happy to file a feature request and share your comments with the team. Thanks again!

• cuyuni
    cuyuni
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Timothy, this seems to be a request that several people have been asking for, but still, it looks like the developer prefers to ignore it; I don't think this is difficult to implement. People need to generate passwords not related to an event where they're creating a new account or updating an existing one; in my case, I need to generate passwords for devices in my internal network or for other places that do not involve websites, or adding passwords to another operative system (Linux) with no access to the App or website. LastPass has this feature; it can generate passwords not tied to a website with two clicks, open the App, click generate password, voila!!!. I loved that feature, and I am missing it a lot!!!

• Hi @cuyuni, thanks for following up with me.

This is a feature we do see requests for with some frequency, and it's very helpful to understand what's driving that interest. So, thanks again for taking the time to share your use case. I agree this could be a helpful feature and while I can't say if or when it will be added, I've filed a request with the Product team on your behalf.

Let us know if there's anything we can help with and thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.