1Password often fills in a specific, incorrect username and password for random websites

Options
Lagerfeldt
Lagerfeldt
Community Member
edited August 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Level of concern: Somewhat worrisome since a sensitive user/password is instantly shared with a random website instead of the correct one, when using the autofill shortcut.

Occurance: Seemingly random, a couple of times a day - usually shortly after using/re-opening 1Password the first time - maybe a hint here.

Activated by: Autofill shortcut (Command+').

Browser affected: Chrome, haven't tested Safari.

The username in the incorrectly filled instance is "admin" and its accompanying password, instead of the correct combo.

Re-doing the autofill action after the incorrect user/pass was submitted will apply the correct combo the second time. So it only happens the first time. I cannot provoke the error per se, except that it seems to happen on the first fill try.

I've looked at the six combos in my vault with "admin" as the username, but none of them seem to be associated with a URL that could be directly misinterpreted.

I cannot entirely rule out something else going on, but the likely culprit seems to be 1Password due to all the above reasons.

I experience the problem on a different Mac with 1Password as well, and it's been happening for about a year or more.

I could point to one or more websites where this will happen occasionally, but it seems pointless as it has happened with hundreds of websites. So it doesn't seem related to any specific website.

1Password Version: 8.10.9
Extension Version: 2.14.0
OS Version: macOS 13.4.1 (c)
Browser: Chrome 115.0.5790.170

Comments

• @Lagerfeldt

There was a bug a good while back where an item would get accidentally linked to the browser. Based on what you've said, I would look within your item to see if it contains a linking. Once you find the item, look in the item details. Once you remove that app link, the behavior should stop.

• Lagerfeldt
    Lagerfeldt
    Community Member
    Options

Nice find! Thanks a bunch.

• Glad to help out. Have a great weekend.

This discussion has been closed.