Family users with separate chrome profiles

Options

We have a couple of shared computers for multiple users, and are getting a couple more. Due to the exponential setup and maintenance issues to support all users on all computers, we want to change our strategy and have a shared sign-on for the desktop, and use separate chrome profiles each with their own 1p login. The 1p logins are all under one family account. I can't figure out a way to match a chrome profile with a 1p login. Each profile simply uses the login from the 1p app. I have the setting turned off on the extension to use the app. Makes no diff. Is it possible to do what I want?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @mvsjes2! 👋

Thanks for the question! I wouldn't recommend having multiple users share the same user account on the same device. Having separate user accounts allows for each user to have a private and protected space for their files and settings. With regards to 1Password specifically, sharing the same user account and setting up separate profiles in Chrome will mean that your users won't have access to things like biometric unlock and some of the advanced integrations available in the desktop app.

One user could also accidentally leave 1Password in the browser unlocked, letting another user access items that they shouldn't have access to.

That being said, you can certainly setup different 1Password accounts in different Chrome profiles. You'll need to turn off app integration and then sign out of the current account. Follow these steps:

1. Create a new Chrome profile.
    2. In the new profile, right-click on the 1Password icon in Chrome's toolbar and click Settings.
    3. Turn off "Integrate with 1Password app".
    4. Click Accounts & Vaults.
    5. Sign out of the account listed.
    6. Sign in with the desired user's 1Password account.

Let me know if you run into any issues.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.