To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Passkey backup

Options
rctneil
rctneil
Community Member
edited September 2023 in Memberships

Hi,

I do a regular Unencrypted Backup Export. I just wish to know if passkeys are included in that as I would expect them to be.

Thanks,
Neil

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hello @rctneil! 👋

Passkeys saved in 1Password can’t be exported at this time and are not included in a 1PUX export. The reason for this is security: passkeys need to always be encrypted on disk and 1PUX exports are not encrypted.

For now, if someone is using 1PUX to move to another password then they should make sure to also follow the steps to create new passkeys on each website where they saved a passkey in 1Password. Then save the new passkeys in a different location, like in their browser’s built-in passkey manager.

I understand that this won't help you if you're using 1PUX as a backup (disclaimer: I don't recommend using 1PUX as a backup) and we’re working closely with platform vendors and other password managers through the FIDO Alliance to create a secure way to import and export passkeys. We believe it’s your choice where to store and use your passkeys. Hopefully we’ll have more to share soon.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#22772
    ref: dev/core/core#22771
    ref: 35086819

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Dave_1P

That's a shame. Is the Encrypted Export feature available yet? I'd love to be able to do an Export and know 100% that EVERYTHING is included with no exceptions. I do a periodic unencrypted backup and store that in a password protected disk image so it's safe.

I'm glad that passkey export is being worked on. I don't wish to leave 1Password but the fact that features are included in the product for allowing me to leave with ease, actually make me want to stay more!

• @rctneil

Thank you for the feedback. We're actively working with our partners at the FIDO Alliance and hopefully we'll have more to share in the future.

Is the Encrypted Export feature available yet?

I don't have any updates at the moment. I've let the product team know that you're eager to see us build such a feature. 🙂

-Dave

ref: 35103954

• Goldfinger
    Goldfinger
    Community Member
    Options

@rctneil you are going to be waiting quite a while for the passkeys to be written out like you want, i think, because Dave is alluding to the FIDO alliance partners agreeing how to securely share passkeys across hosts.
    So that is naturally going to take a while, but in the interim - take pride in your choice of 1P, as an already big-tech agnostic platform. Apple ain't gonna be so sharing...
    Also, consider designating an old ipad for weekly backups. i suggest: just wake it up, turn on wifi, have it sync 1pwd and then turn it off. you have a secure weekly backup that has your data offline. make sure to set ipad / old iphone to NOT have wifi auto-join. (ie if 1pwd is damaged on your laptop/their servers, you dont want to auto-sync).

Regards,
    M.

• @Goldfinger

Thank you for adding your suggestion. 🙂

-Dave

• Goldfinger
    Goldfinger
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P - Thanks for your team creating 1P. You -personally- must be doing something right to be still answering and helping customers on the forum directly! Congrats on achieving that. 🍻

• Dave_1P
    edited September 2023
    Options

@Goldfinger

Thank you for the kind words but I'm not Dave the founder, just another Dave who also works at 1Password. Dave does also post on the forums from time to time. 😊

-Dave

• DavidGA
    DavidGA
    Community Member
    Options

When I export my 1Password library to a 1PUX file, are Passkeys included? A casual inspection of the file seems to suggest not.

1Password Version: 8.10.15
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: macOS 13.5.2
    Browser: Safari

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Asked & answered before here:

https://1password.community/discussion/comment/694066#Comment_694066

Summary: “no” (because …)

• @XIII Thanks for linking to the comment. I've merged the two threads together in order to keep the conversation in one place.

@DavidGA Let me know if you have any other questions. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.