Mac Beta reverted itself to Production channel and won’t change back

Options

My macOS version of 1Password updated itself to the Production channel version, despite specifically being set to use the Beta channel in the advanced settings.

Checking for a new version does nothing, it just stays on Production even though it is supposed to be the Beta.

1Password Version: 8.10.13
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13.5.1
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Gilles9
    Gilles9
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same experience, I suppose that there is no new Beta version newer than the Production version
    It is still set to Beta in my Preferences/Settings

• @Tezcatlipoca

@Gilles9 Is correct.

When a newer Production build is released you'll move to it from the beta. Because it is the newest at the time and contains all the fixes from the beta cycle. Once a new beta is released you will update to it according to your settings.

If one is not offered then there is not a newer beta available.

• Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks both :)

Does that mean Passkey support is now in Production?

• @Tezcatlipoca

Not just yet. :)

Saving and using passkeys is still in beta, and you'll need both the beta of the main 1Password app and the 1Password browser extension to try it out.

Use 1Password beta releases

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Huh, I yesterday removed the 1Password (Nightly) App and installed 1Password Beta, which automatically updated to 1Password Production. I can still log in to services using passkeys (stored in 1Password).

• The nightly would continue to be installed once you accept a nightly build. This would be true if 30 seconds later you switch to beta or production. Once on anything other than production you will remain on that build type until the next cycle change. Aka a newer Production is released.

I'm not saying you've not encountered a bug but that's how it's supposed to work.

We do not support moving between versions mid cycle. To do this you would need to take steps manually.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Can you explain what "cycle change" means?

• If you create a new Beta, does that always have a version number equal to (or higher than) the current Nightly?
    • If not, will you downgrade the 1Password App for people that selected Beta, but are still getting Nightly updates because of their previous channel choice?
  • You would only change builds when passing a production state. A cycle change would be basically a production build has been released that is newer that the previous beta or nightly builds.

ex.

Update to nightly > Switch to beta> You'll continue to get nightlies > Next cycle change (Production build released) > if your settings are set to Production you only receive the next Production build. If you set your settings (back in step 2) to Beta you should receive the next Beta when one is available. You'll continue to receive Betas. If your settings remained on Nightly in step 2 you'll receive the next available Nightly when available. You'll continue to receive Nightlies.

--

Think of it as a toll road or rail system. Once you get in the carpool lane/ on the tracks you can't exit till the designated area. That would be while the next Production build is on your device. I always recommend setting your desired channel before the next release to ensure you do not miss the lane change area. Else you may need to continue on the ride again.

It is possible to make the change manually should you wish or need to do so. There are a few steps to take if you want to get off the train before the next train station.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Can you please give direct answers to my two questions to help me understand?

• bwadm
    bwadm
    Community Member
    Options

I can not follow the logic.
    If I change the setting from NIGHTLY to BETA, the consistent behaviour of 1P would be that the next new beta (with a higher build number than the (locally) running "old" NIGHTLY) would be installed. This change should not happen after the "end of the build cycle for a new production version".

Maybe this is not implemented that way, but then the implementation is inconsistent with the settings that are possible/allowed.
    Reasoning: If I set the Release channel to BETA, it must be BETA that is installed and not NIGHTLY.
    (In addition: When I follow the Help => What's New button (with the small red dot), I end up on the BETA update website.)

• ag_tommy
    edited September 2023
    Options

If you create a new Beta, does that always have a version number equal to (or higher than) the current Nightly?

It seems like you might be thinking the nightly sits above production and below beta. That is not the case in the numbering system. Nightly always has a higher numbering scheme than any production or beta.

Real world examples:

Current production is 8.10.13
    Current beta is 8.10.16-15
    Current nightly is 8.10.16-18

If not, will you downgrade the 1Password App for people that selected Beta, but are still getting Nightly updates because of their previous channel choice?

You are never downgraded you always move forward. To change channels you would need to take manual intervention. You always go forward never backward.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

It seems like you might be thinking the nightly sits above production and below beta. That is not the case in the numbering system. Nightly always has a higher numbering scheme than any production or beta.

That is exactly what I expected.

But this also means that I still don’t understand: if 1Password keeps installing newer Nightly builds, changing from the Nightly to the Beta channel is futile, since 1Password will never install another Beta (without manual interaction).

What am I (and possible @bwadm as well) missing all this time?

• bwadm
    bwadm
    Community Member
    Options

I agree on "never downgrade".
    But:
    When I set the Release channel to BETA, I was on 8.10.16-9 NIGHTLY
    The current BETA is 8.10.16-15 (from August 31 2023).
    Do we agree that 8.10.16-15 is higher than 8.10.16-9?

A consistent behaviour of 1P would be to NOT update to the next NIGHTLY if BETA is selected as Release channel.
    The next update must be the next BETA with a build number that is higher than the running NIGHTLY.

• @XIII @bwadm

If you wish to be rid of the nightlies please take the following steps. They should get you on the beta train and keep you there.

1. Make sure you have your 🚒 Emergency Kit and know your account password and all data is contained on 1Password.com.

2. Quit 1Password and all browsers for good measure. Right-click 1Password in the menu bar (If it's there) and click Quit.

3. Open Finder, and click the Go menu > Go to Folder...
      In the box that appears, copy and paste the following exactly:

~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.1password/Library/Application Support/1Password

4. Press Return.

5. You'll see a folder called Data – right-click on the folder and select Compress "Data".
    6. Drag the original Data folder to the Trash.
    7. Drag 1Password from the Applications folder to the Trash.
    8. Download a new copy of 1Password from here and install it - https://downloads.1password.com/mac/1Password.zip
    9. Wait a few moments and then open 1Password 8. You'll be taken through the setup process.
    10. Update to the Beta. * if desired.

--

I also went digging and found an issue that Ben filed about the updater logic not working as intended. This sounds exactly like what you've encountered. My apologies for that. I can't say I have encountered it. It sure sounds like you have. I've add the both of you to the open issue.

ref: dev/core/core#16674

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I already did something similar a few days ago and am running Production now (and can still use passkeys 🎉).

Nevertheless I would still like to understand (which I still don’t 😢).

• @XIII

I'm happy that you were able to switch release channels. I'm sorry for the confusion, I see that Tommy has added you to an internal issue that we have open where 1Password's update logic can sometimes be broken after switching release channels, hopefully this can be fixed in the future.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.