Paypal passkeys in Germany - offered but not supported

Options
Tertius3
Tertius3
Community Member

As of today here in Germany, I found Paypal is offering Passkeys to me.

However, if I try to create one, Paypal says my device isn't supported. Which is a surprise for me, since I'm running Windows 11 (supported CPU+enabled TPM, kept updated with Window update) and trying this with Google Chrome and the 1Password beta extension, which does definitely support 2 different passkey implementations: the native Windows Hello+Chrome implementation or the 1Password implementation, which both already worked for me for other websites.

It's really still a long way to passkeys.

1Password Version: 1Password for Windows 8.10.16 (81016004)
Extension Version: 21500100, on NIGHTLY channel
OS Version: Windows 11
Browser: Chrome

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Stupid limitations by PayPal probably:

Which technology providers support passkeys?
    Today passkeys for PayPal are supported by Safari and Chrome web browsers on Apple devices running iOS 16, iPadOS 16, macOS Ventura, and Google devices running Android 9+. Passkeys are not supported on web view browsers and Windows devices. On a Windows device, the user must use a password or SMS OTP to log in.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cshelp/article/what-are-paypal-passkeys-help997

(They have a stupid security key implementation as well: you can add only 1; no backup...)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

It's even worse than I thought...

I live in a different country in the EU and much to my surprise I'm also offered to use a passkey (while it's not announced yet for my country).

• I could only set up the passkey in Mobile Safari on iOS, not in (desktop) Safari in macOS Ventura
    • After logging in using my passkey, I still have to enter the 6-digit TOTP code...
  • Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited August 2023
    Options

I don't understand why the're offering Passkeys on a device they don't support anyway. It makes me never ever look again. Anyway, if it doesn't work for all my devices, it's not usable for me, because I cannot rely on it.

I just disabled the "Check for passkeys" config in 1Password and will ignore Passkeys for the next years until it matured. It seems it's much more difficult to get into production - I give the developers time to do that. But I don't want to be bothered every few weeks with an announcement only to see it's not actually supported for me after all. Despite the announcement.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

Passkeys seem to become again an "Apple first" feature. Since I don't own an Apple device and never will, I'm out.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Anyway, if it doesn't work for all my devices, it's not usable for me, because I cannot rely on it.

After enabling the passkey (in Safari), I can still use password + TOTP in Firefox.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Passkeys seem to become again an "Apple first" feature.

PayPal also supports "Google devices", but maybe they mean Android?

(Or would they really restrict it to Google only on that platform?)

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

PayPal also supports "Google devices", but maybe they mean Android?

They mean Android. However, Passkeys on Android isn't supported by 1Password. Only Apple mobile devices are supported by 1Password, as far as I read about it. For Paypal, I can only create a passkey in the Android native storage (I tried, and that's how it worked out).

But having passkeys on one device but not on the other is like having two keys and two locks for my house at the same door: one sophisticated highly secure key and one ordinary key with ordinary security. I don't see any advantage in using the highly secure lock, if I'm unable to get rid of the ordinary lock.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Only Apple mobile devices are supported by 1Password, as far as I read about it.

Unfortunately not. Only on desktop. Mobile requires iOS 17 (due next month).

So due to the stupid limitation imposed by PayPal (mobile devices only) you can only add a passkey in iCloud Keychain; not in 1Password.

While I don't recommend this, I did find a workaround: if you choose User Agent "Safari -- iOS 16.4 -- iPhone" in Safari's Developer menu on your desktop, PayPal thinks you're on an iPhone and you can use 1Password to create a passkey! Disadvantage: it will list the 1Password passkey as "iOS - iPhone Safari", identical to the passkey actually stored in iCloud Keychain.

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

I ahve a UK PP account and the Passkey options shows up but says is unavailable on this device.

I'm using a MacBook Pro with Google Chrome.

Really annoying integration PP have done.

• ianto
    ianto
    Community Member
    Options

I simply changed the user agent for the PayPal site to think I'm an iPhone and was able to add the Passkey in 1Password just fine. I never did add an iCloud Keychain Passkey though.

This discussion has been closed.