Auto-fill not working using the Safari Extension in MacOS

Options

All options are on but it doesn't auto-fill. It does allow me to select a UN/PW when I click on the username field on a site, but no auto-fill from the get-go.
One example is the Macys.com login page. I do have multiple logins but it should still autofill one of them. Lastpass does it so I would expect 1password to do so as well. That is the one issue I have before I can switch over to 1password.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 2.14.1
OS Version: MacOS 13.5
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hello @smiles! 👋

Welcome to 1Password! Can you clarify if 1Password does fill the username and password after you click on one of the suggested logins in the autofill dropdown menu? It should look like this:

Are you expecting 1Password to automatically fill your username and password as soon as you open a website? If you are then 1Password doesn't do this by design for security reasons. If 1Password did fill your logins automatically then there are some exploits and attacks that would allow malicious websites to exfiltrate your passwords from your browser by taking advantage of this "feature". By first requiring that you click on a suggested login before filling your username and password for that login, 1Password protects you from these attacks.

If you'd like an easier way to fill logins then I suggest taking a look at Universal Autofill. With this feature you'll be able to fill a username and password by just pressing Command-Backslash on your keyboard: Use Universal Autofill in apps and browsers on your Mac

Let me know if you have any questions or if I misunderstood the issue. 🙂

-Dave

• smiles
    smiles
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave! Yes, I was expecting it to automatically fill in as soon as the site opens. Too bad that that's not an options, that's a bit of a deal breaker for me. I'll probably stick with Lastpass or iCloud Passwords, which do autofill on load. Thanks for the quick response.

• @smiles

I'm sorry to hear that it might be a deal breaker. I do understand the convenience that such a feature provides but the security drawbacks and the risk of a malicious website vacuuming up lots of your usernames and passwords outweighs that convenience factor.

If you're interested you can read a blog post from our security team that explains our decision in greater detail along with outlining the security threats that such a feature opens up: 1Password keeps you safe by keeping you in the loop

If you do choose to leave 1Password then please stay safe out there and thank you for spending some time here with us. 😊

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.