Multiple accounts, automatically log into "others"?

Options
KG4ZOW
KG4ZOW
Community Member
edited August 2023 in Business and Teams

I've been using 1Password to connect to two different team accounts - one is for work, and one is in my personal account.

With 1Password 7, when I log into the machine and sign into the first 1Password account, the second account was automatically unlocked. With 1Password 8, the second account is not automatically unlocked, and I have to pull out 1Password on my phone to get the password for the second account.

Is there a way to make 1Password 8 automatically unlock the second vault when unlocking the first one, the way 1Password 7 did?

Side note ... I've been putting off upgrading to 8 since it came out, because to be honest I don't like the "look" of the new UI - it reminds me of the "shiny candy coating" that made me hate migrating from windows 2000 to windows xp back in the day. I'm setting up a new laptop for work and figured I should give it a try, since at some point I figure 1Password 7 is going to just plain stop working. This is the first real problem I've had with 1Password 8. I specifically don't want to have to change the password for the second account to one I'll be able to memorize, I don't want to store the password for my personal account in the work account, and I'm not allowed to store the password for the work account in my personal account.

1Password Version: 8.10.13 vs 7.9.11
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13.5.1
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @KG4ZOW,

Our general recommendation is to use the same password for each of your 1Password accounts. Each of your 1Password accounts remains protected, thanks to the unique generated Secret Key you're assigned with each account.

You can read how to change your account password here: Use your 1Password account password for all your accounts

Aside from changing your account password, or if that's not an option for your situation, you unlock the 1Password app containing different account passwords through Windows Hello (Windows) or Touch ID (Mac), with similar options for Linux.

• KG4ZOW
    KG4ZOW
    Community Member
    Options

So ... this functionality was deliberately removed from v7 to v8 then? Or is this just a detail that somebody forgot about?

Either way, I am requesting that the v7 behaviour, where "additional" accounts are automatically unlocked when the primary account is unlocked, be added to v8. Maybe add an "automatically unlock with primary account" checkbox or something, so that users who don't want this behaviour won't be forced into it, and if somebody has three or more accounts they'll be able to have different settings for different accounts.

Also ... I find it rather strange that 1Password is recommending that people use the same password for multiple accounts, even though "best practice" is to use different passwords for everything. Even 1Password itself would complain about a duplicate password if I did this.

• Hello @KG4ZOW,

Either way, I am requesting that the v7 behaviour, where "additional" accounts are automatically unlocked when the primary account is unlocked, be added to v8. Maybe add an "automatically unlock with primary account" checkbox or something

1Password 7 accomplished this by storing the account details for additional accounts in whichever account or vault was set up first. As you can imagine, that's problematic in cases like yours where you don't wish to store personal details in a work account, and a company prohibits their data from being stored in a personal account.

I specifically don't want to have to change the password for the second account to one I'll be able to memorize, I don't want to store the password for my personal account in the work account, and I'm not allowed to store the password for the work account in my personal account.

1Password 8 resolves this issue by allowing each account to be unlocked independently, and never storing details about another account for you.

• If you use Biometric unlocks (Touch ID, or Windows Hello), that can unlock multiple accounts at the same time, regardless of their account passwords.
    • If you want to unlock accounts independently, distinct account passwords allow you to do so.
    • Those wanting the old functionality can opt into it by using the same account password in whichever accounts should be unlocked at the same time.

I find it rather strange that 1Password is recommending that people use the same password for multiple accounts

Password reuse is generally not advised, and the best advice is always to use strong, unique passwords for every situation, however 1Password is a special case where the risk of password reuse is reduced, and some customers have decided it's worth it for the sake of easily unlocking multiple 1Password accounts.

Here's a brief overview of why reusing 1Password account passwords for other 1Password accounts isn't as risky as you may initially think:

• Signing into a 1Password account requires a Secret Key and account password. The Secret Key is always random and cannot be reused, so the overall credentials needed to sign in are always unique for every account. You may wish to read more About your Secret Key
    • 1Password utilizes Secure Remote Password (SRP) to protect the account details (the Secret Key and account password) on device, and never transmit them to 1Password, even in hashed form. This means the 1Password servers have no idea if an account password is reused.
    • 1Password's use of SRP also means that anyone who gained access to our database wouldn't be able to identify any accounts reusing the same password, and our database couldn't be used to compare passwords in use with other services.

So what's the bottom line?

The option to unlock multiple accounts with a single password entry in 1Password 8 already exists. It can be accomplished by using the same account password, and provides the same security as 1Password 7 did.

For those who want stronger security, and to never have information about an account stored in another 1Password account, 1Password 8 unlocks accounts independently based on the password that is entered. Biometric unlock options, like Touch ID, provide another way to easily unlock multiple 1Password accounts.

I hope this information helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any further questions!

Thank you,

• KG4ZOW
    KG4ZOW
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

So ... if the two accounts' passwords are the same, then ... 1Password 8 will unlock the second account automatically when the first one is unlocked? Or does the user have to explicitly go into "Account - XXX - Unlock" (or whatever it is, that machine is powered off at the moment), and enter a password which just happens to be the same as the first one?

• Hi @KG4ZOW,

So ... if the two accounts' passwords are the same, then ... 1Password 8 will unlock the second account automatically when the first one is unlocked

That's correct. 1Password will unlock all accounts in the app (including the second one you mentioned) if all accounts share the same account password.

This discussion has been closed.