Linux Clipboard History

Options
solarizde
solarizde
Community Member

Hi,

is there any way to prevent the Linux clipboard history from storing the copied Passwords?

I use KDE Plasma 5.27.7 on a Ubuntu base in X. I enabled the "Automatically clear... after 90s" in 1P but this has no effect. The copied Password stays in Clipboard and is part of the Clipboard History tray.

Does anybody know how to prevent KDE Clipvoard Manager from storing 1P things at all or give 1p the ability to clear it?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @solarizde, thanks for reaching out.

I've done some testing and was able to reproduce the behaviour you've encountered. It also looks like we do currently have an issue filed with our development team to look into how we might improve the situation with Klipper and other clipboard managers. I've added your case and the details you've provided here to the issue on file for our developers to see.

In the meantime, one potential workaround would be dragging and dropping your details from 1Password, instead of copying, as this will prevent them from appearing in your clipboard history.

Let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything else we can help with.

Ali

ref: dev/core/core#11749

• klieber
    klieber
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

I don't use klipper, but do use greenclip and had the same problem. Greenclip has a blacklist option in its configuration file that I can use to have it exclude certain apps, which I'm attempting to use to keep 1Password out of its history.

From looking at Klipper's docs, it appears the "Exclude Windows" option might be an analog for klipper.

Doesn't solve it from the 1Password side (not sure it's even solvable that way, tbh), but it's a viable workaround.

• solarizde
    solarizde
    Community Member
    Options

This exclude unfortunately is only for the Action Menu not for ignoring the content.

• klieber
    klieber
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, greenclip didn't work for me, either, since its blacklist feature depends on having a named clipboard and 1Password apparently doesn't name theirs.

I eventually landed on clipmenu, which seems to be working well so far. It is a bit harder to configure (it relies on environment variables), but it's 100% written in bash, so it's easy to install and try. So far, I like it. Setting CM_IGNORE_WINDOW=".*1Password$" as an environment variable works to have it ignore anything app-related. That said, I use i3wm, so I'm not sure how well it would work with KDE.

• solarizde
    solarizde
    Community Member
    Options

thanks for the tip. But on Plasma it wont work due to wayland. The script is using XSEL, this can run but due wayland (thankfully existing) boundaries it is not allowed to monitor the general clipboard.

Guess this is a thing 1password devs need to figure out or maybe in future wayland development there is a flag for entries to not process them.

Time will tell :p

For now I changed the setting to "remember during session only" as soon as I logoff the history is gone.

• Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback and insight. I'll go ahead and pass this information along to our developers. 🙂

Franky

This discussion has been closed.