bank of montreal login problems

Options
jill380
jill380
Community Member
edited September 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

can no longer login into bmo with 1password. the login page just resets when I try to login with 1password for safari or for chrome. it also won't allow me to cut and paste my login credentials. the only way to login now seems to be to type in my credentials. Can anyone help?

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.13 (81013005)
_Extension Version:1Password in the browser 2.14.1
_OS Version:_13.5.1
_Browser:
Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @jill380,

I'm struggling to replicate the behaviour you are describing. Can you point me at the exact page you are having difficulty with so I can do some further testing?

Thank you!

• jill380
    jill380
    Community Member
    Options

He Steph, Thanks for responding. The page refreshes after each click. I go to the site(https://www1.bmo.com/banking/digital/login).. Since I have multiple accounts with BMO, no saved card information is already in place -- both the card number and password fields are empty. I click the card box and the 1Password list of accounts drops down. I click on one of them, it fills both fields, but instead of logging me in, the page refreshes and I am once more presented with two empty fields for card number and password. I just tried again... with Safari and Chrome. For a few attempts, it did sign me in but most of the time, after 1password fills in my credentials, the page just refreshes. Yesterday the only way to login into the bank was to type my credentials in because cutting and pasting also caused the page to refresh. My daughter who also uses 1password is having the same trouble with BMO. That site is always a nightmare. They are in the process of rolling out a new (terrible) interface and it may be that only upgraded accounts are experiencing this.

• Hey @jill380,

Thank you for getting back to us with this detail. Seeing as I am unable to reproduce it would you be able to send over a screen recording of the behaviour you are seeing so I can file an issue with our development team? Here's how: Take a screen recording on Mac – Apple Support.

Please attach this to an email addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• jill380
    jill380
    Community Member
    Options

The problem seems to have resolved itself.

• Hey @jill380,

Thank you for the update!

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with at all.

• allenbaum
    allenbaum
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem with the BMO website.
    After clicking on login (and then having to click on anther login button - stupid UI),
    I get to a username/password page.
    Clicking on the username field brings up an alert with the BMO logo and my BMO usename.
    Clicking on the alert makes it disappear, but instead of filling, a red warning appears below text box that says "User ID is a required field".
    The same thing happens if I click on the password textbox, except "Password" instead of "User ID".

Almost same thing happens if I open from the 1password app, clicking on open and fill:
    it gets to the blank logni page having filled in nothing.

I've tried both Chrome and Firefox.
    I'm using 1Password for Mac 8.10.16, 81016047, on PRODUCTION channel & MacOS Ventura 13.4.1 (c)

• Hi @allenbaum,

Can you provide the exact website URL for me to test?

The US site: https://usdigital.bmo.com/www/#/login is known for the #shadow-root issue. Instead of using the inline menu of 1Password to autofill, can you click the 1Password icon in the toolbar and use the login item's "Autofill" button?

• allenbaum
    allenbaum
    Community Member
    Options

The website above is the exact one, and clicking on the icon in the tool bar works - yay!
    If I open the 1password app and select the BMO entry, hover over the website, the click on "Open and Fill" popup - then it doesn't work.
    I don't know what the #shadow-root issue is, but is it fixable from my end?
    Did something change in the interface lately? I (thought I) used to be able to click to select an entry, hover over the selected name, and an autofill button would appear (vs. having to hover over the website line in the entry, which doesn't work in this case anyway)

• @allenbaum,

Thank you for your reply. I'm glad to hear that you're able to autofill from the extension pop-up instead.

Regarding the "#shadow-root" issue, that can't be fixed on your end. Use of these elements in the website's code allow one to keep the structure, style, and behaviour of certain sections on a webpage sort of "hidden" from other sections. In the case of 1Password, unfortunately it prevents our mechanisms from interacting with those sections of the page to do things like save the login, or fill it.

Our development team is aware of this behaviour, and is actively looking into how we can handle it better in the future. I've added your case as further insight to our internal report.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

-Evon

ref:#2900

• Funglin
    Funglin
    Community Member
    Options

This website behavior (I became a BMO customer after it acquired Bank of the West) is annoying, but thanks to @allenbaum for providing a workaround on this. It is definitely better than cutting and pasting.

• Hey @Funglin,

I'm sorry for the disruption, I'm glad the workaround is a help for the time being.

Our team are working hard to improve the behaviour and I recommend staying up to date with the latest versions of 1Password to enjoy all of our new features and fixes.