How does 1Password prevent access to my data even internally?

Options
pathfinder76
pathfinder76
Community Member
edited September 2023 in Lounge

One password is one of the most foolproof Ashford passwords managing The only possible weakness could come from within. What steps is 1Password take to make sure a bad actor from the inside doesn’t think anyone’s passwords.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @pathfinder76! 👋

That's a good question! We take data security very seriously and we deliberately limit the information that we can access here on our end. All of your actual 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted using a private key derived from your account password and Secret Key so all that we see on our end are encrypted blobs of gibberish.

You can read more about what we know and don't know about users here: What we (don’t) know about you | 1Password

Even if someone inside of 1Password wanted to access your passwords they wouldn't be able to do so. Everything is encrypted on your devices before ever leaving your devices which ensures that only you are able to access and view your items.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-Dave

• pathfinder76
    pathfinder76
    Community Member
    Options

when 1password makes new updates, i assume there a many people working on it. how do you prevent a bad actor from working at 1password, and embedding a back door code?

• ag_tommy
    edited September 2023
    Options

All of your actual 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted using a private key derived from your account password and Secret Key so all that we see on our end are encrypted blobs of gibberish.

Without knowing the Secret Key and password your data is not useable to anyone. They are each 1/2 of the combination to your data.

This discussion has been closed.