Unable to create and use passkeys in Firefox

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Passkeys with Firefox.

Comments

• tobia
    tobia
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

I'm late to the passkey party. I just tried it on Chrome and it works flawlessly, but on Firefox I'm not able to create a passkey nor use the ones that was saved on Chrome.

I'm using Firefox 117 on Linux and 1Password 2.14.1

When I visit https://www.passkeys.io/ , whether I click "Sign in with a passkey" or register an account and click the "Save a passkey" button, I never get 1password's white popups in the upper right corner. Instead I get the following native dialog:

Do I have to configure or enable something in Firefox? Is it a limitation of the OS? I'll try Firefox on Windows later.

• tobia
    tobia
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

I just tried it on Windows and Firefox 117 still won't let me use 1password's passkeys.
    Google Chrome 116 wasn't working either, but then I updated it to 117 and it worked.
    So maybe it's a browser support issue?
    But I also tried Firefox Nightly 119.0a1 and it still doesn't work, I get the popup shown above.

• Hello @tobia! 👋

I'm sorry for the confusion. If you're using the stable versions of 1Password, then passkey support is available in 1Password in the browser version 2.15.0 or higher.

At the time of writing, 2.15.0 hasn't yet been released for Firefox. Make sure to keep automatic updates turned on so that you receive the latest version as soon as it is available: How to keep 1Password up to date in your browser

If you'd like to try passkeys in Firefox today then you can install the beta version: Use 1Password beta releases

-Dave

• tobia
    tobia
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P Oh, I see! That makes sense, thank you.

• @tobia

I'm happy to help. 🙂

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.