1Password for Safari's keyboard focus doesn't get set properly for the filling prompt

Options

The release notes for 1Password in the browser 2.15.0 includes:

We’ve made improvements for navigating notifications and pop-ups with your keyboard.

However, now in Safari when the list of items to choose from when filling into a form is displayed, the keyboard focus remains in the form element and not on the list.

Previously, you just had to hit the down arrow to select the first item, and thus just hit down + return to fill the item.

Now, you have to hit tab first to focus the list, and then down + return to fill the item.

For example, when tabbing into the field, the menu appears but hitting down merely scrolls the page now.

This appears to be specific to Safari as 2.15.0 still behaves in the old manner in Chrome (and I can't confirm in Firefox as even manually checking for plugin updates doesn't yet offer up 2.15.0 yet, but I know that 1Password updates for Firefox always take longer to make it through their store).

This is a regression (and breaks muscle memory, and thus is annoying 🙃).

1Password Version: 8.10.15
Extension Version: 2.15.0
OS Version: macOS 13.5.2
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hi @Kepi,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are having with navigating the inline menu with the arrow keys. I was able to reproduce this behaviour in Safari and have filed an issue with our development team to take a look to see if we can improve this.

Apologies for the disruption to your workflow, please let us know if there is anything else we can help with in the meantime.

ref: dev/core/core#24063

• Kepi
    Kepi
    Community Member
    Options

It wasn't explicitly called out as being fixed in the release notes, so it's expected, but this issue still remains in the just-released 2.16.0 version of 1Password for Safari.

• Hi @Kepi,

The version 2.16.0 update fixed the scrolling function issue in Safari. However, the arrow key navigation issue you were asking is still there. I'm sorry for the confusion there.

• Kepi
    Kepi
    Community Member
    Options

Hey Kevin,

Given that installing the extension requires Safari to be restarted in the first place... ;) But sure, why not!

Restarted Safari again, and my initially-reported problem is still occurring: when the list of login(s) appears, I used to be able to just hit the down arrow to select the first one; I still have to hit tab after hitting the down arrow as the first instance of hitting the down arrow merely sets the focus to 1Password's popup.

1Password in the Browser for both Chrome and Firefox still behave correctly; it's the Safari extension that's broken in this regard.

• Hey @Kepi,

I'm sorry for the confusion, you're right the issue you initially reported is still ongoing.

Apologies for the disruption, I hope we can resolve this soon.

Have a great weekend!

• Kepi
    Kepi
    Community Member
    Options

Just wanting to follow up to make sure this issue is still on the radar at 1Password as the just-released 2.17.0 doesn't fix the issue (which I again expected as it wasn't called out explicitly in the release notes).

• sourcecube
    sourcecube
    Community Member
    Options

Also having this issue and wondering whether it's still on the radar as it keeps tripping me up as the muscle memory is pretty strong at this point...

• @Kepi and @sourcecube

The issue is still open with our development team. When it's resolved you'll see it noted in our release notes with the internal tracking number 24063.

Thank you for your patience. 🙂

-Dave

• Kepi
    Kepi
    Community Member
    Options

Hooray, today's 2.21.0 release included the fix for this!

The inline menu now works correctly when using the arrow keys to navigate it in Safari

• @Kepi

I can confirm that a fix has been released in version 2.21.0. Thanks for letting others know that they can get it in the latest update for 1Password for Safari!

If you're still seeing the issue after updating, let us know, and we can take a closer look.

-David