1Password 8 MSI installer shows wrong installation Location in Control Panel's Programs and Features

Options
apjanke
apjanke
Community Member

In the Windows "Programs and Features" Control Panel, if I enable the Location column in the view, it shows 1Password as being installed in the wrong location, D:\APPDIR.

Minor inconvenience for sysadmins, probably.

Here, I just installed 1Password for Windows 8.10.15 (81015001) using a freshly-downloaded MSI installer from the "Deploy 1Password" page, on Windows 10 Enterprise Multi-Session (aka Windows 10 Enterprise for Virtual Desktops). I can tell it actually got installed to a normal location under %PROGRAMFILES% because if I open the target file for the 1Password shortcut in the Start Menu, it's in "C:\Program Files\1Password\app\8". And there's no D:\APPDIR folder on this computer.

Did it on a Windows 10 Pro VM, and it's showing "C:\APPDIR" as its location instead.

The per-user 1Password installed using the .exe installer seems to show the correct location here.

BTW, does it make sense to have that "-latest" in the file name for the installers, like "1Password-latest.msi"? It's only actually the latest right when you download it. For the MSI at least, since it's used by sysadmins and doesn't auto-update, seems like it would be more useful to have the actual version number in there, like most program installers do.

1Password Version: 8.10.15
Extension Version: 2.15.0
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise Multi-Session
Browser: Edge

Comments

• Hey @apjanke, thanks for reaching out and bringing this to our attention.

I was able to reproduce this and have filed an internal issue for our developers to investigate further.

BTW, does it make sense to have that "-latest" in the file name for the installers, like "1Password-latest.msi"? It's only actually the latest right when you download it. For the MSI at least, since it's used by sysadmins and doesn't auto-update, seems like it would be more useful to have the actual version number in there, like most program installers do.

I can certainly see how having the version number could be helpful. While I can't make any promises, I'll pass this feedback along to the relevant team.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Ali

ref: dev/core/core#24115

This discussion has been closed.