1Password with Emails

Options
AGibson
AGibson
Community Member
edited September 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Upon looking at switching to 1Password from Dashlane for the improved security and additional login fields that are provided, I noticed some differences with how 1Password autofills emails.

In Dashlane one of the things you can do, is save your email as it's own field. Now while I have figured out how to do this in 1Password 8 Beta for MacOS, it didn't work too well in 1Password 7 as it by default added a country to the identity which kind of defeated the purpose. For example, I create a new identity called "John Doe - Email", then in the email field save "johndoe@example.com". I have tested that an email added like this can used to sign up for a site and it works so that's great.

Now to come to my main point of my discussion, is the "username" field that should actually be the email field. In my opinion, with the current way that signing up for sites work, email and usernames are two different things. Take instagram for example, you have a username which is displayed, and an email which is private. Now where this becomes an issue, is when I attempt to sign up for a site like Instagram, and it suggests an email for the "username" option. Another issue (I've so far only found on Instagram), is that when you try autofill the "email" option nothing pops up. This happens with both 1Password 7 and 1Password 8 Beta. This may be an issue with the browser I am choosing to use, Brave.

Thanks for your time, I hope these bugs/feature requests will be taken into account.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.16 (81016043)
Extension Version: 1Password in the browser 2.15.1 21500104, on BETA
OS Version: macOS Ventura 13.4.1
Browser: Brave

Comments

• AGibson
    AGibson
    Community Member
    Options

I've also recently noticed, that if you add a username to an identity. When you then go to sign up for a page like Instagram, the autofill drop down recognises the usernames and all emails as being a part of the "username" sign up option for instagram.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

In my opinion, this cannot be any different. 1Password cannot know every website in the world whether that website is asking for an email address or for some username to login. For some websites, the username used for login is public visible, so you cannot choose your email address for this, and other websites send emails to the name given at login, so you cannot choose an arbitrary name.

So 1Password offers both from the identity item to let the user choose at sign up, but saves the choice in the login item the user creates. So the choice is persistent for every login to that website with 1Password after that.

• AGibson
    AGibson
    Community Member
    Options

So I agree with what you're saying, but I believe there is an issue when 1Password looks to "predict" the username wanting to be used on a site. I've found that when I click on the username field on a website, 1Password offers saved emails to be used as the username. The way I see it this should be changed, because I would guess that majority of users don't want to use their email as their username. I'm assuming this "bug" occurs because emails are saved under the username field within 1Password, but please correct me if I am wrong. I think 1Password is superior to Dashlane, and am trying to understand how to better use it.

• Hey @AGibson,

I'm so sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

The behaviour will very much depend on the website you are on. A lot of websites use an email address for the username which is why you see these suggested. However, I do agree that there are a lot of cases where the behaviour could be improved.

I have taken a look at the Instagram sign up page and you're right, the email addresses from your identity item should be suggested within the email field not the username field. I have filed an issue with our development team to see if we can improve the behaviour on this page in a future update.

Were there any other websites that were proving problematic for you?

ref: dev/core/core#24257

This discussion has been closed.