Can the 'save password' popup to stay open until AFTER a successful password change?

Options
DXF1
DXF1
Community Member
edited September 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I love 1Password, and I finally got my brother to try it - he had used the same 4 passwords on ~100 different sites. He's finding that the suggested password for a password change often doesn't work for many of his banking sites. These sites often have rules about which special characters are allowed, but the website doesn't show this requirement until after the unallowed password has been saved in 1Password. Is it possible to alter the behavior of the save/update pop-up to remain AFTER the password on the website has been changed successfully?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows
Browser: MS edge

Comments

• Hey @DXF1,

1Password is set to suggest 'Smart Passwords' by default meaning it will try to suggest a password that meets the requirement of the website you are on. If the suggested password doesn't meet the requirements it would be great if you could pass these websites on so we can see if we can improve the behaviour in a future update.

The reason we offer to save a password before submitting the form instead of after is because this would require arbitrarily capturing and maintaining data you've entered into fields as well as all the details of the page in the background, assuming you might want to save a login, as you navigate websites. With that, currently the least invasive way to ensure your Login items are secured by 1Password with all of the correct data is by offering to save a new item from within the fields being saved themselves.

With that being said, I'd be happy to put in a request with our product team on your behalf to make it easier to update the password in these types of scenario. Can you provide me with an example?

Thank you!

• DXF1
    DXF1
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks - I understand the need for security. I've had the most trouble on banking sites. Here's a screenshot of an attempted password change at Morgan Stanley
    https://mso.morganstanleyclientserv.com/

See the attached screenshot.

The new password has been filled in using the suggestion from 1P. Even though it looks like it meets all the security requirements (8 to 64 characters with 1 letter and 1 number), the site says the new password does not meet the security requirements. The info on the site is obviously wrong, but you can't even see that it's not allowing the new PW because the 1P icon is covering the information. It's only after you click 'update existing login' that you see the new PW wasn't allowed.

• DXF1
    DXF1
    Community Member
    Options

Actually, if I had the ability to move the 'update login' pop-up from 1P to a different part of the screen, I'd be able to see that the site didn't like the new password. I'm on the beta channel of 1P on an iMac, and I use Vivaldi.

This discussion has been closed.