To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Moving to 1Password from LastPass after 10+ years - Features I will miss ?

Options
HNofX82
HNofX82
Community Member
edited September 2023 in Memberships

Hello,
Finally decided to move to 1password from lastpass.
I need to know features which i will miss in 1password..
Though the most important criteria about security is achieved in moving (which is MAJOR CONCERN), though to master/adapt myself to new techniques would need to understand things..

I found 1 thing which I will miss is Equivalent Domains (Global option in lastpass)
Though this can be acheived in 1password by adding multiple sites to same user account
I have around 10+ google accounts, where i will have to manually do same and also for every new google account added.. (not a big deal but can adjust)

Any other important feature I will miss in 1Password, which exists in Lastpass.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• HNofX82
    HNofX82
    Community Member
    Options

Since equivalent domains is handled different way, is there something useful available to add list of additional sites to a specific login?

I have 10 Google accounts, used for emails, youtube, google.com or country specific TLD and other services.

I can write down all additional tlds/website address to one single website login/entry.

Is there a simple way to copy this list of additional sites to other login/entry ?

Also any way to find list of ALL logins.this is a one time work, but very important and required.

• HNofX82
    HNofX82
    Community Member
    Options

• 9elsen
    9elsen
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

I left LastPass some years back, and have I not missed anything. The product was quite cluttered, had fancy features claiming to increase security, but did not really in my opinion. I mean if you leave, there is more than one thing you do not like, so why look back. 1password is a great product, first of all it secure, and you will soon see that the features of the product are so carefully designed, and a pleasure to work with.

• HNofX82
    HNofX82
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @9elsen.

I am stuck w for a solution for equivalent domains, just thinking how to resolve this including 2 more options (which are almost solved but I am not clear) .

I browse services like
    outlook.com
    Microsoft.com
    Onenote.com
    Office.com

All these sites use same credentials, but when I am any specific domain from 4 above, I clearly understand what email to use for specific service, they authenticate on a single domain.

There are one of 2 new Hotmail ids added a year, so not a big deal.

But on Google, where actually work goes, there are 10+ domains and Atleast 2 new added every 6 months.

I am just searching how to add this domains properly (one solution is to duplicate one entry and change of email/password/name.

But when Google or Microsoft starts new service it will be more work to add new domain on all places.

Hope my question is clear.

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    Options

As far as I know, and as far as it works for me with all of the above applications, you need one single item for one microsoft account that contains only these two urls:

https://account.microsoft.com/
    https://login.microsoft.com/

You don't need onenote.com in your Microsoft account item. If you go to onenote.com and choose login, and your item contains only these two entries, 1Password will identify your Microsoft account credentials are requested. It's because all Microsoft logins are internally handled by account.microsoft.com only, even if this isn't directly visible on all the different websites for office, onenote, etc.

If you have additional Microsoft accounts, create additional 1Password items with the same 2 urls, and you get to choose the correct item at login. If Microsoft adds new services, you don't need to add their url to the 1Password items.

• 9elsen
    9elsen
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

For the business version of 1password there might be something like Equivalent Domains, I have not come across it in the family version @HNofX82
    Also in 1password there is no bulk edit option, not for websites at least.

However if a login url changes, first time you need to search the item, and select it. Then 1password is smart enough to detect and ask if you want to update the item.

Equivalent Domains might be smart at a first glance, but it is a (bad) feature that means your items are not kept up to date.

• HNofX82
    HNofX82
    Community Member
    Options

Equivalent Domains might be smart at a first glance, but it is a (bad) feature that means your items are not kept up to date.

Not sure how it is a bad feature..

• 9elsen
    9elsen
    Community Member
    Options

If items in your vault can be kept up to date, they are self contained. With Equivalent Domains things need to stitched together, there are pros and cons of doing that.

• HNofX82
    HNofX82
    Community Member
    Options

@9elsen can you explain in details what you meant ?

• 9elsen
    9elsen
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

I can try.
    All password managers I have used like this, you have all information at item level, like username, password, websites.
    It is very easy to export this information, and go to another tool import it - done.

Now if all information is not at item level, what you export is not complete. Like in the case of Equivalent Domains, you will be missing information about websites.

So that is why I think, it is a cool feature, but only until you decide move - and that is bad @HNofX82

• HNofX82
    HNofX82
    Community Member
    Options

Absolutely, @9elsen , I appreciate your clarifications. It's important to note that users should exercise caution when it comes to password managers. I had been content with LastPass until a security breach occurred, as reported on the internet.

However, I had a similar experience when some of my 'VERY IMPORTANT' attachments were inadvertently deleted. These attachments had been uploaded nine years ago, and I had assumed they were as secure as if they were locked in a bank vault.
    I reached out to LastPass support and maintained contact with them for over ten days while they attempted to recover the deleted files. Unfortunately, they eventually informed me that the files were irretrievable.

This was an extremely disheartening experience, leading me to decide that it was time to switch. After conducting some research, I found 1Password, and so far, they have been addressing some of my important questions and problems effectively.
    I have 2-3 more questions, which I assume shall be fixed..
    Then stick with 1PWD (just hope they come with bigger plans like 5 years/10 years subscriptions)

• 9elsen
    9elsen
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

I am a little reluctant when it comes to storing documents @HNofX82, to me it feels like an edge case for a password manager in general. I am not sure how easy documents could be exported. It might be that I am mistaken as I have not investigated it.

My reasons for selecting 1Password (used LastPass, then Bitwarden before)

• Quality software, and dedicated people
    • No trackers
    • No breaches (so far)
    • EU datacenter (EU regulations)
  • HNofX82
    HNofX82
    Community Member
    Options

Quality software..

I am bit unimpressed here, app is still buggy for me when it comes to passkeys on windows.
    I have added passkeys (without any physical device) to nearly 10+ google accounts. Not even a single works properly.
    After few days, or log out from everywhere or signin from new device, I have to skip passkeys (it wont authenticate with passkeys) and continue with passwords so its meaningless.
    Pop-up displays every time that this site supports passkeys and should be added.
    Adding a new account to Android, requires manual copy/paste of credentials for google, ms, etc. accounts

1PWD android app does not works on most of my installed apps which are required daily (specially banking)

While adding a new entry in browser, adding 2nd tag selection disappears cause of SPACE auto-included.
    Case sensitive tags, FUN, fun, Fun, fUn, fuN, FUn, fUN, FuN are treated as different tags.

Selecting/Searching any item from FF extension atleast, when i click edit, opens the windows app, but not the item which i was editing (I have to search for that item again) very irritating.

Few more issues, small features required on Android App .

You are correct switching takes time, but I have spend enough time not get adapted..
    Used to the UI
    And I hope, this small bugs should be fixed in coming releases if taken as priority.

More ever, I was very impressed/happy with billing (for there help/support) and the Windows Hello login

• 2 points soo far.
  • 9elsen
    9elsen
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    1. It is early days for passkeys.
      Anyhow I have added Passkeys for my Gmail and Workspace accounts, works quite well in Chrome, and Edge - have only seen some random issues. I run the browser extensions on Beta channel, I run the Windows app on latest Production channel.
      Windows app on Beta is not recommended, at least I had big issues, and then also when restoring to stable.

Number 4 I have seen that issue starting lately - it did use to work.

I see sometimes that autofill is a little buggy for some sites, but it is not to a level that is annoying. The quick access (Ctrl+Shift+Space) on windows is quite convinient, especially that you can copy out username/password/totp with shortcuts.