GrapheneOS: apk? 1Password in the browser? What are you doing?

Options
aplnub
aplnub
Community Member

I have a phone running GrapheneOS on a Pixel 7a. I have read the apk is not available from 1Password. This seems ridiculous to not post a link to their own repository hosting the official apk.

With this said, if you don't use the 1Password app, do you access it through the web browser? Any downsides to this route?

Did you migrate to Bitwarden who does host their apk for download?

I was thinking about exporting to Bitwarden every week. A one-way sync if you will. Any one ever done this and care to share your experience?

Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @aplnub, thanks for writing in and sharing this feedback.

I have read the apk is not available from 1Password.

That is correct, 1Password for Android is only available through the Google Play Store. That being said, I can certainly understand your interest in an APK or direct download. I cannot say if or when it might be added, but I've filed a request for this option with the team on your behalf.

With this said, if you don't use the 1Password app, do you access it through the web browser? Any downsides to this route?

You can access your account through the browser on any device from 1Password.com. While you can view, manage, and create items among other account features, options like Autofill or Biometric unlock that are included with 1Password for Android, are not available on the 1Password website.

Thanks again!

ref: 35511643

• aplnub
    aplnub
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the response. Using 1Password through the browser is a big hurdle for me. Auto fill is the selling feature.

I would love to know why the apk is not available on F-Droid. This is why checksums exist for verification. I hope the 1Password team will reconsider this choice.

• Thanks for your message @aplnub.

I've added you comments to the request for an APK option. There are some challenges, and additional resources required to make an APK and relevant updates available. As you noted, these are certainly not insurmountable.

Thanks again for sharing your interest. If there's anything the 1Password team can help with at this time, just let me know!

This discussion has been closed.