PayPal passkey crashing 1P/Watchtower passkey disappeared on iOS

Options
kodaviz
kodaviz
Community Member

I was going through watchtower passkeys to set up available passkey's and noticed PayPal didn't have one set up. I went to the PayPal app to set that up and when saving it to 1Password, the 1Password app saves the passkey to it's database and then immediately crashes. No passkey appears to be saved to PayPal on their end. This is reproducible every time and I'm unable to create a passkey in PayPal.

After this, the passkey option is now no longer available in watchtower. I can go to something like "Two-factor authentication" and select "Passkeys available" from the dropdown, but no items are listed any longer when some of my items do have passkeys available.

The PayPal app is up to date at version 8.49.0.

1Password Version: 8.10.16
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 17.0
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• josephwit
    josephwit
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue here

• josephwit
    josephwit
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

Just trying to learn about Passkeys. IOS 17, latest update to 1PW iOS this morning. Saving passkey on PayPal crashes the 1PW app, noted on other posts. Setting up Passkey on Ally Bank doesn't work.
    On iOS Settings, Passwords, Password Options, what is the correct setting for "Set Up Verification Cods Using:?

1Password Version: 8.10.16
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: iOS 17
    Browser: Safari

• Hello @kodaviz and @josephwit! 👋

I'm sorry that you're running into trouble when saving passkeys on iOS. While 1Password is ready to support passkey authentication in iOS native apps, we are aware of an issue on iOS 17 that impacts users from being able to save and use passkeys to sign in.

We are working with our partners at Apple to find a resolution to this issue. You can continue to create and sign in using passkeys, with 1Password, in the Safari app.

On iOS Settings, Passwords, Password Options, what is the correct setting for "Set Up Verification Cods Using:?

You'll want to make sure that 1Password is selected so that you can save you two-factor authentication codes directly into 1Password.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Dave

• josephwit
    josephwit
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

Thank you for the info, Dave. A page on 1Password website with the exact current state of compatibility and instructions for configuring 1Password and system settings on all devices would be very helpful as the kinks get worked out.

• Gman54
    Gman54
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, just wanted to add to the post that I am also having this specific issue with paypal app on iOS 17. Good to know that 1password is aware of this and working on a fix.

• Dave_1P
    edited September 2023
    Options

@Gman54

Thank you for the report. Hopefully a fix can be released soon. 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#23706

• steve28
    steve28
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

same here - disappointed that a month later and still crashes on iOS trying to sign up with paypal

• @steve28

It looks like things were working in iOS 17.1 beta 3 but aren't working again in the iOS 17.1 release candidate. Hopefully a fix for the issue is released by Apple in a future update to iOS soon. 🤞

-Dave

• steve28
    steve28
    Community Member
    Options

Is it fixed in 17.1 release?

• @steve28

The issue still exists in iOS 17.1. Some colleagues and customers have reported success with iOS 17.2 Beta 1 so hopefully the fix will come with the official release of 17.2 in the future.

-Dave

• @kodaviz, @josephwit, @Gman54, and @steve28

iOS 17.2 was just released by Apple and it includes a fix for the issue where saving and signing in with passkeys using 1Password in iOS apps didn't work. You can find instructions on how to update here:

If you're still having trouble after updating to iOS 17.2 then please let me know. 🙂

-Dave