Passkeys on android 14 missing?

Options
petermm
petermm
Community Member

Hi

Yesterday i noticed on the release notes this line
"You can now save and use passkeys in 1Password on Android 14 or later. "
As a big user of passkeys, that made me really happy as I was waiting for any news on this. I upgraded my Pixel 7a to the newest Android 14 beta... and nothing. Chrome still presents me with my "system" passkeys, with no option to use 1password saved passkeys. Is this something that will only become available on the release version of Android 14?

1Password Version: 8.10.16
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 14 UPB5.230623.009
Browser: Chrome

Comments

• spiralj
    spiralj
    Community Member
    Options

Right?! I went through the same little roller coaster. When oh when will Passkeys for Android via 1Password be here?!

• KirkyLAD
    KirkyLAD
    Community Member
    Options

Yup. Got an S23 Ultra on Samsung's Android 14 beta and I am having the exact same issue. 1password is set as my preferred service in the "Passwords, passkeys and autofill" settings and Google Password manager is disabled but it doesn't seem to work :(

• tonkku107
    tonkku107
    Community Member
    Options

I suspect the release notes entry was a mistake, since they also released a blog post where it mentions android passkey support as coming soon. That changelog line also never appeared during the beta of that version.

• Hi @petermm, @spiralj, @KirkyLAD, @tonkku107 thanks for writing in, and for your interest in passkeys!

Version 8.10.16, did in fact include a change laying the groundwork for passkey support with 1Password for Android.

Currently, the Android 14 beta, as well as a change to feature flags in Chrome, would be required to save and sign in with passkeys. We will have lots more to share regarding 1Password for Android and passkeys with the public release of Android 14, which is anticipated later this fall.

In the mean time, here's a quick video I made showing how saving and signing in with a passkey currently looks with 1Password for Android:

• tonkku107
    tonkku107
    Community Member
    Options

The necessary flag is chrome://flags/#web-authentication-android-credential-management for those who are curious.

• Thanks for sharing that @tonkku107.

Just to note, that flag is currently in the "Experiments" section. Please be sure to check any warnings Chrome provides before making any changes on your device.

• petermm
    petermm
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you! That worked :)

• Great to hear @petermm!

• gaza1994
    gaza1994
    Community Member
    Options

Just to hijack this post (sorry not sorry)

Pixel 6 pro
    Android 13 (latest build)
    Chrome (latest build)

Finally updated to 1password 8 excited to use my newly saved passkeys to find it's just the system passkeys that was offered not 1password

Im assuming it's the same issue noted above and the same fix for now?

Ive reverted to my trusty 1pass 7 for now 😂

• gaza1994
    gaza1994
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_timothy sorry to '@' you, any ideas on my above comment?

• Lyndeno
    Lyndeno
    Community Member
    Options

is there a way to make this work in Firefox for Android? Currently it just looks for passkeys in the system manager, not 1Password.

• Hi @gaza1994, apologies for the delay.

Support for password managers, such as 1Password, to create and use passkeys is coming to Android 14 and later. As you mentioned your device is running Android 13, it would be expected behavior that 1Password cannot be used to save or sign in with passkeys. The production roll out of Android 14 has recently started with newer Pixel devices so you should see that update soon!

It's important to note that while passkey support is turned on in 1Password for Android, we’re still waiting on Android apps to be updated to support this feature. We’re also expecting support for websites to come later this year when Chrome rolls out greater passkey support. While it's currently possible to use passkeys in Chrome on Android 14 devices by modifying feature flags, we would recommend waiting for the fully supported versions.

Hi @Lyndeno, thanks for your question.

To my knowledge Firefox Android is not currently supporting passkeys. When I try saving one, I see the option to use a security key, or the device based key, but not a passkey. Doing the same in Chrome presents me the option to save a passkey with Chrome.

When using Firefox are you seeing "passkey" specifically mentioned or are you given the option to select the device/ a security key?

• cxgomez
    cxgomez
    Community Member
    Options

I am facing the same issue despite being on Android 14 and enabling the correct chrome flag. 1password is setup as my password autofill of choice. Any passkey login uses the system passkey instead of 1password.

I suspect this might be device specific. I upgraded from a pixel 7 to a pixel 8 this week. When my pixel 7 got updated to Android 14, I used the same steps mentioned above, and passkeys worked great in Chrome. However, after switching to my pixel 8 (also on Android 14), the same steps no longer work. I have tried factory resetting the phone, restarting, checking for more recent system updates, reinstalling 1password, all to no avail. Any ideas what's going on?

• tonkku107
    tonkku107
    Community Member
    Options

I also just received my pixel 8 and cannot use passkeys on it while I could on my previous pixel 5

• tonkku107
    tonkku107
    Community Member
    Options

After going through multiple Google Play system updates, the 3rd party passkey functionality returned.

• FrankyO1P
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hi @tonkku107,

I'm glad to hear after additional Google Play updates you're able to use passkeys again!

Hi @cxgomez,

I'd like to ask you, after updating to the most recent updates, are you also able to now use passkeys as intended?

Franky

• barmak
    barmak
    Community Member
    Options

It seems to me that Android 14 delegates Passkey registration/ authentication to third party Password Managers only when request comes from the same mobile. When using via QR code from a Windows machine ( cross platform ) I could not get any of them to work. Is this the case?

• barmak
    barmak
    Community Member
    Options

Answering to my own question, I figured out that Android OS has not implemented Hybrid Transportation and it is the Chromium which has registered itself to take action for "fido:/" URL in QR Code. That is why always Chrome Password Manager comes up.

• SeaMonster
    SeaMonster
    Community Member
    Options

I also have a Pixel 8 Pro and I am having no luck getting passkeys to use 1password. I'm on the Nov update of Android 14 and I have the latest Google Play updates. I have set 1password as my default password manager (for "Passwords, passkeys and data services") and it does work properly for passwords. (And I turned OFF Google as and additional provider.) I have set the chrome flags (mentioned above) and nothing seems to work.

Could it be that something (either in 1password or in Android) is behaving differently for the Pixel 8?? Or am I missing something?

• tonkku107
    tonkku107
    Community Member
    Options

All of the different google play system update (settings -> security & privacy -> system & updates) components roll out at different times so you might see an up to date screen for a while even if you don't have the latest at the moment.
    Also, since Chrome version 119, I found out that the flag has to be set to "Enabled for Google Password Manager and 3rd party passkeys" for passkeys to work at all.

• SeaMonster
    SeaMonster
    Community Member
    Options

@tonkku107 thank you. I had the flag set to just "Enabled". I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that the "Enabled ... and 3rd party passkeys" wasn't an option back when I originally tried this. I just changed it and voila!! I am now able to login with 1password stored passkeys.

• Fydon
    Fydon
    Community Member
    Options

@tonkku107 thank you. The chrome flag is "Android Credential Management for passkeys" which I've now set to "Enabled for Google Password Manager and 3rd party passkeys". I also set "Passwords in Credential Management API" to Enabled. Edge also has the same flags. Passkeys now work in those browsers.

• lindsor
    lindsor
    Community Member
    Options

@Fydon i tried doing the chrome flag and it still doesnt work is there anything else needed?

Also i dont see this flag Passwords in Credential Management API just the other one

• loggor
    loggor
    Community Member
    Options

I'm on Brave Browser with the flag on (Google and 3rd party) but can't get the passkey to work. It always prompts Google. Did anyone here manage to get it to work with Brave?

• jimk4003
    jimk4003
    Community Member
    Options

@loggor having the same issue with Chrome 120.0.6099.43 on Android 14 December security patch with 1Password 8.10.22.

Using a Pixel 6, and have the above Chrome flag for Android credential management for passkeys set to 'Google Password Manager and 3rd party passkeys'. Also have 1Password set as the autofill provider in Android settings under 'Passwords, passkeys and data services'.

Trying to save or use a passkey only shows Google password manager as an option.

• tonkku107
    tonkku107
    Community Member
    Options

Chrome has also started only offering google password manager for me even with the flag, but 1password passkeys still work elsewhere (such as the QR code flow). I suppose we'll just have to wait for chrome to fix this.

• k1832
    k1832
    Community Member
    edited February 18
    Options

Having the same issue. I tried to logging in Adobe on Android Chrome with the Passkey that I created on macOS Chrome by 1Password, but Android Chrome only showed me the system Passkey (and it showed no corresponding Passkey)

Update: sorry I missed this part "Only apps with built-in passkey support are compatible with 1Password at this time. Saving and signing in with passkeys in browsers like Chrome will be supported in the future." in https://support.1password.com/android-autofill/.

It's apparently just not supported yet.

• tonkku107
    tonkku107
    Community Member
    Options

@k1832 if you read back on the thread you can find a flag that you can enable in chrome that adds support. It is still experimental and has stopped working a couple times in the past but I think it's better to try than to be stuck without support at all.

• Hi @k1832,

@tonkku107 would be correct. Credential Management API support isn't enabled by default in Chrome at the moment and is behind a flag, which if enabled will enable this support to allow you to save and sign in to websites with passkeys via your Chrome browser.

Once this is enabled by default by Chrome, you will be able to save and sign in to websites using passkeys without needing to enable this flag, although we aren't sure when this will be.

Enabling the flag also works in other Chromium based browsers such as Edge, Vivaldi and Brave from testing on my end.

I hope this helps.

-- Brendan