1Password stops supporting iOS 15 (iPhone 7)

Options
Jensen Gelfond
Jensen Gelfond
Community Member
edited September 2023 in iOS

I have just learned that 1Password has stopped supporting iOS 15/iPhone 7 (no new 1Password 8 versions for iOS 15 from this point forward). Virtually every other 3rd party app out there still supports iOS 15, and Apple has continued to release security updates for iOS 15. I know many people still using iPhone 7 devices quite successfully.

It would have been better to see at least 1 more year of support for iOS 15, and I hope you reverse your decision and continue to support iOS 15.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @Jensen Gelfond! 👋

Thank you for the feedback. 1Password 8 requires iOS 16.4 or later so that 1Password can provide the best, and most reliable, experience possible on iOS 16 and later.

If you're using an older iPhone that can't be updated to iOS 16 then you can currently run 1Password for iOS version 8.10.4 on that device but you won't be able to update to newer versions.

-Dave

• tez1
    tez1
    Community Member
    Options

I’m in the same boat. How does one go about getting an older release such as 1Password for iOS version 8.10.4?

• Hi @tez1

You should be able to re-download 1Password for iOS that's compatible with the older version of iOS you're running from your App Store purchase history by following these steps:

1. Open the App Store app.
    2. Tap the sign-in button or your photo at the top-right of the screen.
    3. Tap Purchased.
    4. If you use Family Sharing, tap My Purchases or choose a family member's name to see content that they purchased.
    5. Tap "Not on this iPhone/iPad."
    6. Find the app that you want to download, then tap the download button.
  • jjmaestro
    jjmaestro
    Community Member
    Options

I just got a second hand iPad Air 2 and I'm currently running iOS 15.8 which Apple just released on Oct 25 2023. And I just found out about not being able to use 1password in iOS lower than 16.4!

Unfortunately, I didn't have it installed ("purchased") before so I can't follow @jac.pd_1p instructions... How can I get the older version of 1password installed in my iPad?

Thanks!

• Dave_1P
    edited December 2023
    Options

@jjmaestro

Thank you for the question. 1Password 8 requires iOS 16.4 or later, you won't be able to install the latest version on your iPad running iPadOS 15.8.

If you haven't previously downloaded 1Password for iOS then you won't see it in your previous purchases for download. That being said, I do have a workaround the might help: does you have access to another iOS device (like an iPhone) that can run iOS 16.4 or newer? Installing 1Password 8 on a device that supports iOS 16.4, where you are signed into the same Apple ID as on your iPad, should make previous versions of the app available for download from the App Store on your iPad.

-Dave

• jjmaestro
    jjmaestro
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P thaks for your reply! Yeah, that's what I've managed to Google I do have other Apple hardware (computers) but unfortunately I don't have access to another device (iPhone or iPad) :-/

Also, do all of the 1Password 8 versions require iOS 16.4? Was there a previous version that ran in iOS 15.8 or would I have to go all the way to 1Password 7?

Meanwhile, I'll try to find another device that can run iOS 16.4 to try the workaround... but I'd love if there was another way. Can't 1password publis the IPA files of a previous version that works with iOS 15? I'm not too used to iPhone / iPad (I mostly use Android on mobile devices) so maybe I'm wrong but I would hope that such an app could be sideloaded or something :-?

Thanks!

• @jjmaestro

1Password for iOS 8.10.4 was the last version of 1Password 8 that ran on iOS 15. Newer versions of 1Password rely on features and components of iOS that are only available in iOS 16.4 or later. I recommend always running the latest version of 1Password 8, since it includes all of the latest bug fixes, security updates, and features.

Can't 1password publis the IPA files of a previous version that works with iOS 15? I'm not too used to iPhone / iPad (I mostly use Android on mobile devices) so maybe I'm wrong but I would hope that such an app could be sideloaded or something :-?

We don't have a way to provide a standalone IPA that can be installed on iOS/iPadOS devices due to how apps are signed when distributed through the App Store.

-Dave

• Jensen Gelfond
    Jensen Gelfond
    Community Member
    edited January 23
    Options

Apple has continued to support iOS 15 with security updates, releasing a new version of iOS 15 today, so it is evident that Apple is continuing to support the 2 prior versions of iOS with security updates similar to how they support the 2 prior versions of MacOS with security updates. I hope that going forward 1Password will consider supporting versions of iOS that are still receiving security updates from Apple instead of leaving users on slightly older devices out in the cold.

• @Jensen Gelfond

Thank you for the feedback, I've passed it along to the team.

-Dave

ref: PB-37932555

• Schmenge53
    Schmenge53
    Community Member
    Options

Another vote for @Jensen Gelfond 's request.
    I've been using Keeper for a year, relatively happy... but just started a 14-day trial of 1Password this morning to see if bringing my family over makes sense...
    Only to learn that three of us would not be able to use it on our current phones...
    Very Disappointing - I was impressed with the 1password reviews and comparisons -and- especially the features for managing family members...

• g1p
    g1p
    Community Member
    Options

This is a big mistake on 1password's part.
    You have the option to allow older versions to be downloaded but you are chosing not to do that. Instead, what you are doing is letting "the perfect be the enemy of the good". Users on older devices or older OS's get "nothing". And the choice for these users is hardware updates, not software updates. A new iPhone is in excess of $1000. It's clearly apple's plan to only provide software updates for newer devices to sell more devices.

In addition, every other application I have including lastpass offers IOS 15 versions. That includes my 3 banks. Whatever shiny object they offer on 16 that's fine, but keep the version with less bells and whistles available too.

This really happened at Mozilla:
    They had decided to make sure all their web servers were serving TLS 1.x a few years back, even for downloads. This provides extra security. What they didn't expect is that they were blocking users who could no longer update the browser on their system from downloading firefox. Firefox was still supporting the older systems while apple and microsoft left them in the dust.
    They reversed their decision and got a bump in downloads. Of course they were able to get people "more secure" than they were before.

Note: The workaround above of downloading 1password on a newer IOS device and searching purchases on other devices did not allow it to be found on the ios 15 device. It is filtering out any purchases that can't be installed on the ios version which we are searching from.

It would be wise to allow that to succeed, while increasing your customer base. In the mean time, I am stuck on lastpass for those devices.

• g1p
    g1p
    Community Member
    Options

OK, well either that was the fastest change in heart I've ever seen, or it's that the workaround above isn't necessary.

After just now purchasing 1password on an ios device that's newer, the app store offered me an older version of the software on ios 15.

For those whom are stuck: I have not tried this but there are ways to run the app store in xcode under their simulator. ( https://forums.developer.apple.com/forums/thread/16361 ) but it may not work for purchases. Maybe borrowing a device temporarily will work.

For 1password, thanks for doing the right thing by allowing us to get the older version. It does seem like this was potentially a quick decision.