Can 1Password educate PayPal and Amazon on passkeys?

Options
XIII
XIII
Community Member
edited September 2023 in Lounge

PayPal and Amazon now "support" passkeys, but in a rather weird way: for them passkeys only replace your password; you still need to enter both your username/email and 2FA 6 digits code...

Can 1Password please educate these big players on paskeys?

Comments

• I encountered the same thing and was like uh why ask for the code. You can bypass Paypal by clicking trust device. The same can be said for Amazon. Though I agree that this is not part of my flow and might make me perform extra steps. Not ideal for me.

The good news is companies are embracing the idea and improving. I hope we'll see much better support as we move forward.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

The good news is companies are embracing the idea

The bad news is that some major players are implementing the idea in the wrong way, giving millions of consumers (/1Password users) the wrong impression of passkeys...

• @XIII

I expect that the experience will become more consistent and intuitive across the millions of websites on the internet as time goes on, we're in very early days. 1Password is there is help companies and developers deploy passkey authentication with Passage. Passage is a passwordless authentication service that enables organizations to implement simpler, more secure sign-in experiences in apps and websites with just a few lines of code.

Developers who are interested in deploying passkeys can check out our website: Passwordless Authentication Powered by Passkeys | Passage by 1Password

-Dave

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

@Dave_1P How about making the provider of this community forum offer passkeys? That's not an unreasonable request, given all the circumstances.

Do it, then write a blog about how you (actually the provider, with your assistance) did it.

• @Tertius3

Thanks for the suggestion, I've let the team know that you'd like to see passkeys supported for the community. 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/web/1password.com#126

This discussion has been closed.