Why does passcode logins work across different web browsers

Options
dmpaul1
dmpaul1
Community Member
edited September 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

A passcode login created in Brave does not work for Firefox.

1Password Version: 8.10.16
Extension Version: 2.14.1
OS Version: windows 11
Browser: firefox 117.0.1

Comments

• Hey @dmpaul1,

It sounds like you might not be on a version of 1Password in Firefox that supports passkeys. Can you follow the steps in this guide and make sure you are on version 2.15.1 and then let me know if you are still running into trouble?

• dmpaul1
    dmpaul1
    Community Member
    Options

check 1password versions desktop 8.10.16 extension 2.15.1 and firefox 117.0.1. Firefox does not use passcode on Ebay or Google, but Chrome and Brave use passcodes. Tried clearing cookies without luck.

• @dmpaul1

Thank you for the reply. Are you meaning to write "passcode" or "passkeys"? If passcodes, then can you tell me a little more about what you mean by passcodes?

If you do mean passkeys, eBay currently uses an implementation of passkeys that only applies per browser. While you can save a passkey for eBay in 1Password, you can only sign in with that passkey in the same browser that you used to save the passkey. You won’t be able to use the passkey in other browsers or devices, and the passkey won’t work anymore if you clear your browser’s history/cache.

Regarding the Google passkey: when did you create the passkey for your Google account and which browser did you use?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• dmpaul1
    dmpaul1
    Community Member
    Options

I did mean passkey. The Google passkey was created in Brave and works with Chrome, but not Firefox.

• Hey @dmpaul1,

I'm sorry for the delayed response.

If you click on the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar in Firefox and search for your Google item can you see the passkey saved within it here?

• dmpaul1
    dmpaul1
    Community Member
    Options

Yes I see a saved passkey, but the login uses my password.

• Hey @dmpaul1,

Can you update your 1Password in Firefox to version 2.15.1 and see if it would help with the passkey issue?

Here's the guide on how to keep 1Password up to date in your Firefox browser.

Let us know how it goes.

• dmpaul1
    dmpaul1
    Community Member
    Options

I have been using 2.15.1

• My apologies for missing the version you mentioned in the earlier post, @dmpaul1.

Can you confirm if you created another passkey in Firefox and use it there?

If that doesn't work for you, can you create a console log registering the login process in Firefox? Then, you can send it to our support for a closer look:

Email us with the console log at:

support+forum@1Password.com

With your email, let's include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• dmpaul1
    dmpaul1
    Community Member
    Options

[#WSQ-27433-444]

• Thank you @dmpaul1, I have located your ticket and my colleague will be in touch soon.

ref: WSQ-27433-444

This discussion has been closed.