Passkey crashes PayPal app

Options
gmpalter
gmpalter
Community Member
edited September 2023 in iOS

I managed to create a passkey in the PayPal app on iOS. (Trying in Safari on both macOS and iOS said that the browser wasn't supported.)

When I try to login to the PayPal app using my passkey, the app crashes.

BTW, when I saved the passkey, 1Password changed the name of my login item from "PayPal" to "paypal.com". Is this intentional?

Also, I had 1Password open to the login item when I created the passkey. When I went back to 1Password, it didn't show the passkey in the item. I had to select another item and come back to see that it was there. (My other devices showed the passkey immediately.)

1Password Version: 8.10.16
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 17.0.1
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @gmpalter! 👋

I'm sorry that you're running into trouble when saving passkeys on iOS. While 1Password is ready to support passkey authentication in iOS native apps, we are aware of an issue on iOS 17 that impacts users from being able to save and use passkeys to sign in.

We are working with our partners at Apple to find a resolution to this issue. You can continue to create and sign in using passkeys, with 1Password, in the Safari app.

BTW, when I saved the passkey, 1Password changed the name of my login item from "PayPal" to "paypal.com". Is this intentional?

Our developers are aware of this issue and hope to release a fix as soon as possible. I've added your report to the internal work item open here on our end.

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#23706
    ref: dev/core/core#23918

• chrisminett
    chrisminett
    Community Member
    Options

+1
    Paypal doesn't recognise passkey support on Safari 16.6 on macOS 13.5.2. Trying to add a passkey on the iOS app using 1Password causes a crash back to the home screen. 1Password has saved the passkey, but PayPal knows nothing about it (revisiting PayPal's "Manage Passkeys" still shows no passkey set).

• Damnatus
    Damnatus
    Community Member
    Options

Can confirm. I’m happy to read that the issues I encountered are already known and will be addressed!

• @chrisminett and @Damnatus

Thank you for the reports, I've forwarded them to our development team.

-Dave

• SchmidSP
    SchmidSP
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, any news?
    Same problem with PayPal here.
    Thanks.

• Hi @SchmidSP,

We're continuing to work with our partners at Apple to work on a fix for this in iOS 17 but we don't have any information or timeframes to share. I would recommend, however, to keep iOS updated on your iOS device so you're the first to receive this fix in a future version of iOS: Update your iPhone or iPad – Apple Support.

As Dave mentioned above, saving passkeys for PayPal on iOS works in Safari and you can then use the passkey to sign in to the PayPal app on iOS :)

• timl23
    timl23
    Community Member
    Options

“As Dave mentioned above, saving passkeys for PayPal on iOS works in Safari and you can then use the passkey to sign in to the PayPal app on iOS :)”

Hi. You cannot use the passkey to sign into the PayPal app, as it crashes when you try to do so. (I assume This must be a bug with the app)
    However there is a workaround. Uninstall and reinstall the app and when you try to login it will initiate a Safari session which will let you use the passkey to login. You’re then good as long as you don’t log out of the app.

• @timl23

Thanks for posting a potential workaround for folks to try until a fix is included in a future update to iOS.

-Dave

• joegurt
    joegurt
    Community Member
    Options

+1, can confirm all the issues that the OP saw in the first post happened to me when trying to add a passkey to 1Password for PayPal. Adding it to iCloud Keychain worked for me instead.

• 1proller
    1proller
    Community Member
    Options

finally I managed to create passkeys for PayPal and TikTok and saved in 1p. iOS 17.1 beta 3 and 1p beta 8.10.18

• @1proller

I'm happy to hear that things are working in the latest beta of iOS, hopefully the fix will make it to the stable version soon. 🙂

-Dave

• Flawless
    Flawless
    Community Member
    Options

Can we expect a fix with the release of iOS 17.1?

• @Flawless

Thanks for the question. It looks like the fix that was included with iOS 17.1 beta 3 was reverted in the Release Candidate version so we'll likely need to wait for a future update.

-Dave

• Flawless
    Flawless
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P

How unfortunate, thank you for clarifying.

• Hopefully we see an iOS update with a fix soon.

-Dave

• michaelyork
    michaelyork
    Community Member
    Options

I can also confirm (if it's helpful to folks) that the fix is no longer present in the latest RC build. Was wondering if I'd gone crazy! I remembered things working fine a couple weeks back.

• @michaelyork

Thanks for adding your report. 🙂

-Dave

• gmpalter
    gmpalter
    Community Member
    Options

As of a couple days ago, the PayPal app no longer crashes when I try to use my passkey. Instead, it just reports that an error has occurred. (This happened on iOS 17.0 and, today, on iOS 17.1.)

On an unrelated note, when I try to login to PayPal using my passkey in Safari on both iOS and macOS, PayPal asks for my TOTP code! (Could someone please explain passcodes to PayPal?)

PayPal error message

• michaelyork
    michaelyork
    Community Member
    Options

Can also confirm that even today's updated (public release) build of iOS 17.1 did not include the fix from earlier betas.

• Thank you for the reports, iOS 17.1 indeed does not resolve the issue. I'll keep an eye out to see when a fix does appear in a future update to iOS.

-Dave

• michaelyork
    michaelyork
    Community Member
    Options

Happy to report the fix is once again present in iOS 17.2 Beta 1.

• Thank you @michaelyork. 🙂

-Dave

• gmpalter
    gmpalter
    Community Member
    Options

Any thoughts on PayPal's website's behavior asking for a TOTP code when I use a passkey to login?

• @gmpalter

Thanks for the question. That would be a behaviour that PayPal would have decided to include as part of their implementation of passkeys and isn't something that 1Password can control.

Passkeys are very early days and different websites will provide different experiences. As passkeys mature and become more ubiquitous over the coming years the experience will become more polished and standardized across the industry.

-Dave

• @gmpalter, @chrisminett, @Damnatus, @SchmidSP, @timl23, @joegurt, @1proller, @Flawless, @michaelyork

iOS 17.2 was just released by Apple and it includes a fix for the issue where saving and signing in with passkeys using 1Password in iOS apps didn't work. You can find instructions on how to update here:

If you're still having trouble after updating to iOS 17.2 then please let me know. 🙂

-Dave

• Damnatus
    Damnatus
    Community Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

@Dave_1P tested and it seems to work here. Thanks for the notification! Got into the PayPal app and tapped on passkey, then got 1Password slide up from the bottom with the current used PayPal login mail asking to save passkey, then got to a selection view for all PayPal items in my vault (with the option to create a complete new login item also). The matching existing PayPal login (same email) was preselected and after confirming it was stored like it should. No app crashes or anything (also nothing logged in Analytics Data).

PayPal‘s App still is overall clunky when signing in with FaceID enabled mail/password, then 2 FA, then again FaceID and the first time after saving the Passkey also showing the prompt to use the Passkey for login (or it may be activated by the iOS Passkey API). But after the second login, the Passkey prompt is not shown again after the other steps (FaceID, login, 2FA, FaceID).

• Damnatus
    Damnatus
    Community Member
    Options

Correction: I still get the Sign in via Passkey after the login via FaceID, Password, 2FA, FaceID shenanigans where I just can hit the x button as I’m already authenticated. I also tried logging out and using Passkey to log in. But the next time it just starts again. Pretty sure, 1P cannot do anything there. So this is primarily just for the sake of completeness.

• @Damnatus

I'm happy that you're not running into the original issue anymore. 🙂

Correction: I still get the Sign in via Passkey after the login via FaceID, Password, 2FA, FaceID shenanigans where I just can hit the x button as I’m already authenticated. I also tried logging out and using Passkey to log in. But the next time it just starts again.

I'm seeing the same thing when using the PayPal app on my own iPhone. This is indeed something that PayPal would need to take a look at and I recommend reporting it to their team: PayPal Contact Us

-Dave