Allow adding several 2FA codes to the same login item

Options
pmcarrion
pmcarrion
Community Member

Some services require more than one 2FA code, but 1Password only allows one 2FA per login item.

Use case:
1) Company provides login credentials. Must change my password and set up OTP to log in to the intranet.
2) Company uses a third-party email provider and must log in via SSO using the same credentials.
3) Third-party email provider requires its own OTP as well.

It used to be possible to have several OTPs in the same login, but this feature was removed in 1Password 8.

Please enable the option to add several 2FA codes to the same login item.

It would also be great to add several passkeys to the same login item (same use case as above).

Thanks.

1Password Version: 8.10.16 (81016047)
Extension Version: 2.15.1
OS Version: macOS 13.6 (22G120)
Browser: Edge

Comments

• Hi there @pmcarrion

You can add another one-time password field to an item which will then allow you to have multiple one-time passwords.

Click Edit on the item, then "+ add more", then "One-Time Password", like this:

Use the scanner button to add a QR code containing the 2FA secret, or manually paste in the details into the new one-time password field, and you'll have something that looks similar to this:

The first one-time password you add will be anchored to the top of the item along with the username and password but any others can be dragged around and rearranged like any other additional field.

Hope that helps! :)

— Grey

• pmcarrion
    pmcarrion
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the detailed reply.

The first one-time password you add will be anchored to the top of the item along with the username and password but any others can be dragged around and rearranged like any other additional field.

It is possible to add another OTP as you mention., but it replaces the "main" OTP and moves it to the end of the Login Item.

The first one doesn’t remain anchored, and the new one doesn’t remain anchored in its desired location after dragging it.

• @pmcarrion

Thanks for the reply.

It is possible to add another OTP as you mention., but it replaces the "main" OTP and moves it to the end of the Login Item.

That doesn't sound right. If you have an existing Login item with a saved one-time password then please try these steps:

1. In a browser or app open the QR code that you'd like to scan to add the new one-time password.
    2. Open and unlock the 1Password for Mac desktop app.
    3. Click on the item that already contains a one-time password and then click Edit.
    4. Scroll down and click + add more.
    5. Click One-Time Password.
    6. To the right of the new One-Time Password field at the bottom of the item (not the original One-Time Password field at the top of the item), click the Scan QR code icon. 1Password will scan your QR code.
    7. Click Save.

You should now see an item with two different one-time passwords: the original one-time password at the top of the item and the new one-time password at the bottom of the item.

If that doesn't work then please let me know which step isn't working and, if possible without showing any sensitive information, please post a screenshot of what you see on your screen.

-Dave

• jinwai
    jinwai
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hi

I found that it is a bug.

If you try to add 2nd one-time password by clicking "+ add another field" INSIDE A SECTION, then you will be prompted to edit the existing 1st one-time password at the top under the login detail.

If you add 2nd one-time password by clicking the "+ add more" at the most bottom, then you can actually add new 2nd one-time password, scan the QR code, then drag it into the Section. But new bug will appear. This new 2nd one-time password will be at the top (under the login detail), and the 1st one-time password will be taken down to the bottom. Basically means 1st and 2nd one-time password will be switched.

Hope you can fix it soonest.

• @jinwai

Thanks for the report. I can inconsistently reproduce the issue and I agree that it looks like a bug. If you create a new section in that same item then are you able to add the one-time password correctly to that new section? Or does the same issue affect any one-time password that you try to any section?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.