How to change default Passkey provider back to system?

Options
cipher
cipher
Community Member
edited September 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Hey guys, my website needs to access system Passkey provider instead of 1Password. Because 1Password Passkey does not act 100% the same as system default. 1Password tends to 'update' a previous passkey instead of 'create' a new one when the user trys to.

Is there anyway to disable/bypass 1Password passkey feature on iOS 17 webpage side? By the way, i don't wanna ask the user to modify their setups, better we have a method by calling js or html codes. Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited September 2023
    Options

Hello @cipher! 👋

Thanks for reaching out. 1Password has implemented iOS 17's passkey API, which Apple has provided for third-party apps. Users get to choose whether they use Keychain or a third-party password manager for the purpose of saving and signing in with passkeys through iOS Settings:

1. On the Home screen, tap Settings.
    2. Tap Passwords > Password Options.
    3. Turn on AutoFill Passwords and Passkeys.
    4. Select the desired provider.

This isn't something that a website would be able to override or change for the user. As a user, I wouldn't want to have a website have the ability to save passkeys in Keychain when I've explicitly turned that functionality off.

my website needs to access system Passkey provider instead of 1Password. Because 1Password Passkey does not act 100% the same as system default. 1Password tends to 'update' a previous passkey instead of 'create' a new one when the user trys to.

Can you clarify what you mean here? 1Password follows the passkey spec as defined by FIDO. Users should be able to save a new passkey for your website. If there are issues happening with 1Password's implementation of passkeys then I would be happy to file a report with our development team.

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• cipher
    cipher
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave. The problem here is when the website requires a new Passkey account, 1Password presents the 'update' option by default, which is different from the behavior of system providers.

If the user click next without change the option (which should be the default act for 99% people), the previous Passkey will be replaced, and people cannot login with previous account. But they're assumed to login the website with two different account and two different passkeys, now their first account's passkey is replaced!

I know this 'update' feature may be useful in same scenarios, but it really confusing for multiple account context. My suggestion here is to hide or weaken the importance of this feature. At least, don't make it a default option. It should always be 'new passkey' by default, which keeps align with system default.

• Hey @cipher,

Apologies for the delay! I appreciate the level of detail you have provided here and I agree that this workflow could be better.

I have filed an issue with our development team to take a look into this to see if we can improve it in a future update.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all.

ref: dev/core/core#24345

This discussion has been closed.