Reddit login: 1PW doesn't fill in my full password on first attempt

Options

When I try to log in at https://www.reddit.com/login/ using Chrome in incognito mode, 1PW for the browser fills in my full username but only part of my password, from the looks of it.

initial login screen after 1PW fill

Whatever it fills in, it's not my proper password: if I hit Log In, the attempt fails.

login screen showing failure

But if I select the 1PW browser icon in either login field a second time (whether I've already attempted to log in or not), it correctly fills in the full password:

failed-login screen after re-clicking 1PW icon

And I can log in after this second invocation.

This happens almost every time I try to log in, but not quite 100% of the time. I haven't seen this behaviour anywhere except on Reddit.

1Password Version: 8.10.16
Extension Version: 2.15.1
OS Version: Windows 10 (latest updates)
Browser: Chrome (latest build)

Comments

• Hi @oxalate,

Thanks for reporting this issue to us. From looking at the screenshot you've provided, when the password is incorrectly filled the length of the password appears to be 6 characters/digits long. This would be the same length that one-time passwords would be.

Would you possibly have two-factor authentication enabled for your Reddit account with the one-time password stored in your 1Password account? If so, it may be that this field is initially being incorrectly filled with your one-time password rather than your password.

-- Brendan

• oxalate
    oxalate
    Community Member
    Options

@BrendanR1P, I do indeed have two-factor authentication enabled for Reddit, and my OTP is stored in 1Password. So I think that's a plausible explanation.

Is this behavior something that 1Password can address? It's not a major problem, but it would be nice to have 1Password fill in the correct credentials on the first try.

• Hi @oxalate,

Thanks for confirming that you have two-factor authentication enabled for Reddit and that your OTP is stored in 1Password.

Is this behavior something that 1Password can address? It's not a major problem, but it would be nice to have 1Password fill in the correct credentials on the first try.

I'll be happy to report this issue to our Development team to make them aware of the issue and for them to investigate whether a fix can be implemented.

I hope this helps.

-- Brendan

ref: dev/core/core#24318

• oxalate
    oxalate
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @BrendanR1P!

• You're very welcome @oxalate

This discussion has been closed.