Import all (Google) Authenticator 2FAs to 1Password

Options
gabrieljcs
gabrieljcs
Community Member

I'm wondering if there's an easy way to automatically import all of my 2FAs from Google Authenticator to 1Password?

I want to get rid of Authenticator but have a bunch of 2FAs there, so it would be quite a pain if I had to set them all up again.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @gabrieljcs, thanks for writing in!

I'm sorry to say there isn't an option to automatically import 2FA codes from Google Authenticator. What I would typically recommend is resetting 2FA for your accounts with 1Password as they come up in day-to-day use, rather than all at once. I find this can be less daunting than going through the whole list at once.

I can certainly understand that this process is not ideal. My apologies for any trouble here. While I can't say if or when a 2FA import feature might be added, I've shared your interest with the team.

Let me know if there's anything I can help with, and thanks again!

ref: 31395688

• ajh0912
    ajh0912
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

@gabrieljcs how many TOTP codes is a bunch?

If it's <10 it's probably worth re-enrolling 2FA on each of those sites. More than that, it may be worth using a workaround.
    If you are technically inclined a project like this can convert the Google Authenticator 'Export accounts' QR code.

Or if you're less technically inclined, a better alternative is to download Aegis Authenticator and use it's function that can scan a Google Authenticator 'Export accounts' QR code.

Once you get those TOTP codes into Aegis, you can copy and paste the TOTP seed string straight into 1Password's 'One-Time Password' field for an item (in Aegis: edit item > Advanced > copy the 'seed').
    Or you could use Aegis to 'show' the TOTP QR code for that item, and scan it into 1Password using another device's camera (in Aegis: hold down on an item to select it, in top right tap the QR icon).

• Thanks for sharing these workarounds @ajh0912!

This discussion has been closed.