Keyboard shortcut doesn't open Safari extension when a Hebrew keyboard is selected

Options
DavidB
DavidB
Community Member
edited October 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

If a Hebrew keyboard is active (System Settings > Keyboard > Text Input > Input Sources), the keyboard shortcut Shift-Command-X does not open the 1Password Safari extension.

Shift-Command-X still opens the extension in Chrome, and Shift-Command-Period opens it in Firefox.

Also, clicking on the 1Password icon in the Safari toolbar still opens the extension too.

Is this a bug in 1Password or Safari?

David

1Password Version: 8.10.16
Extension Version: 2.15.1
OS Version: macOS 13.5.2
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hey @DavidB,

Thanks for reporting this, I'm trying to reproduce the behaviour you are describing so I can pass it on to the team but I'm having a hard time. Can you send me a screenshot of your keyboard settings so I can mirror it on my end? The steps may be slightly different as I am using MacOS 14.0.

Thank you!

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @steph.giles,

Thank you for your message -- I appreciate your help.

I am attaching a screen shot of my System Settings showing which keyboards I have available as input sources and another showing the Hebrew keyboard selected after clicking the Input Source icon in the Menu Bar.

• Hi @DavidB,

Thank you for following up with us and for providing those details. I've been able to reproduce the behaviour you've described - Using Cmd-Shift-X on a Mac where the input source is set to Hebrew - QWERTY does not open the 1Password in the browser pop-up.

This is likely due to the way the X key is handled as I've been able to reproduce the same behaviour in Chrome and Firefox with the default shortcut keys. We do currently have an open issue our Development team are investigating where certain keyboard layouts cause issues with our chosen default values for keyboard shortcuts; I've gone ahead and added your case to our internal tracker for this issue.

Could you let me know if changing your input source to a standard US keyboard allows you to open the pop-up for 1Password for Safari using Cmd-Shift-X?

ref: dev/core/core#20365

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hi TimG1P,

Thank you for your reply.

This is likely due to the way the X key is handled as I've been able to reproduce the same behaviour in Chrome and Firefox with the default shortcut keys. . . .

>

Could you let me know if changing your input source to a standard US keyboard allows you to open the pop-up for 1Password for Safari using Cmd-Shift-X?

Just to clarify, please note that with my setup, Command-Shift-X works in Chrome with either the US or Hebrew keyboard. (And Command-Shift-Period works in Firefox with either keyboard too.)

In other words, it's only in Safari that Command-Shift-X that doesn't work with the Hebrew keyboard.

David

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

Hi TimG1P,

Thank you for your reply.

This is likely due to the way the X key is handled as I've been able to reproduce the same behaviour in Chrome and Firefox with the default shortcut keys. . . .

Just to clarify, with my setup, Command-Shift-X works in Safari with the US keyboard.

Command-Shift-X also works in Chrome with either the US or Hebrew keyboard. (And Command-Shift-Period works in Firefox with either keyboard too.)

In other words, it's only in Safari with the Hebrew keyboard that Command-Shift-X doesn't work.

David

• Hi @DavidB,

Thanks for confirming that the behaviour is only present when you've selected the Hebrew keyboard and are trying to open the 1Password for Safari pop-up. I apologize for the inconvenience. While our development team investigates, you can continue with clicking the 1Password icon in the Safari browser's toolbar to open the extension pop-up, or switch over to the US keyboard if it makes things easier.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

This discussion has been closed.