Creating passkey for TikTok fails

Options
miggl8
miggl8
Community Member

Hi community. When I try to set up a passkey for TikTok with 1password the passkey gets generated and stored in the 1password TikTok object but TikTok doesn‘t seem to accept it and shows me the message „We weren't able to save your passkey in TikTok. We recommend setting up a new one.“
When I set it up with the iOS built-in password manager it works fine. Any ideas?

iPhone 12
iOS 17.0.2
TikTok v 31.4.0
1password v 8.10.16

Regards,
miggl8

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• alicezinha
    alicezinha
    Community Member
    Options

Hello!

Just a question, how did you set up a passkey for your TikTok app? when i tried to set up a passkey for mine it only showed a option to do it with iCloud, i even tried to create a passkey using 1Password but i couldn't

• miggl8
    miggl8
    Community Member
    Options

I‘m having the same issue. Sometimes it offers me to choose where I want to store the passkey - 1password or iCloud - but sometimes it only shows the iCloud option. See attached pictures showing the two scenarios.

• miggl8
    miggl8
    Community Member
    Options

This is a screen recording of the entire process. I hope the animated GIF will work.

• alicezinha
    alicezinha
    Community Member
    Options

I've just tested it right now, and I got basically the same error. This is probably a bug on TikTok or in the 1Password app, and they might fix it soon. :)

• Hello @miggl8 and @alicezinha! 👋

While 1Password is ready to support passkey authentication in iOS native apps, we are aware of an issue on iOS 17 that impacts users from being able to save and use passkeys to sign in to iOS apps like TikTok.

We are working with our partners at Apple to find a resolution to this issue. You can continue to create and sign in using passkeys, with 1Password, in the Safari app: Use 1Password to save logins and sign in to apps and websites on your iPhone and iPad

The passkeys directory will tell you which websites currently support passkeys: Passkeys.directory

Let me know if you have any questions. 🙂

-Dave

ref: dev/core/core#23706

• alicezinha
    alicezinha
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P Oh that's great to hear! I'm sure that, with time, the 1Password Team will be able to fix this issue when trying to save 1Password passkeys on the iOS TikTok App

• @alicezinha

Thanks for the reply. To clarify: our developers have looked into the issue and an update with a fix to iOS from Apple will be needed here. Hopefully that comes soon. 🙂

-Dave

• Cruncher
    Cruncher
    Community Member
    Options

It is still not working with iOS 17.1 RC. Hopefully it will work soon. There is no other way to add this passkey.

• @Cruncher

Thanks for reporting the behaviour in the current release candidate. Hopefully the fix will come in the next iOS update. 🤞

-Dave

• Cruncher
    Cruncher
    Community Member
    Options

Any updates on when this is going to work?

• @Cruncher

Some colleagues and customers have reported success with iOS 17.2 Beta 1 so hopefully the fix will come with a future update to iOS soon. 🙂

-Dave

• Cruncher
    Cruncher
    Community Member
    Options

I can confirm that with the iOS 17.2 RC everything works fine now. It did not work with iOS 17.1.2 yet.
    I am very happy and I was able to setup a few Passkeys for TikTok, Local Health Insurance Apps and Amazon.

• @Cruncher

That's great news, thank you for the report. 😊

-Dave

• @miggl8, @alicezinha, @miggl8, @Cruncher

iOS 17.2 was just released by Apple and it includes a fix for the issue where saving and signing in with passkeys using 1Password in iOS apps didn't work. You can find instructions on how to update here:

If you're still having trouble after updating to iOS 17.2 then please let me know. 🙂

-Dave

• miggl8
    miggl8
    Community Member
    Options

Hi everyone! Just wanted to share that the issue with creating and saving Passkeys for TikTok using 1Password on iOS has been resolved with the iOS 17.2 update. Big thanks to @Dave_1P and the 1Password team for keeping track of this and updating us. I've tested it and can confirm it works smoothly now!

• @miggl8

I'm happy that everything is working again. 🙂

-Dave