To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Is it possible that in the future there will be backup codes for 2FA on 1Password accounts?

Options
alicezinha
alicezinha
Community Member
edited October 2023 in Memberships

I love 1Password, and I use it as a 2FA app authenticator for all of my accounts. Recently, I've found out there is also a way to set up 2FA for 1Password accounts, but I also saw that there is no way of saving your backup codes for me, while this wouldn't've been such a problem for me on other websites because I trust 1Password. But the same doesn't happen when I setting up a 2FA for my PASSWORD MANAGER; it's a different thing.

Having a 2FA enabled on my 1Password without having backup codes is terrible because, although I would get the benefit of having my account more secure, it would still make me so insecure about losing my 1Password account. So many things could happen: my devices could have been stolen, broken, lost, I could lose access to my authenticator accounts and be unable to recover my password, etc. So that's why I don't even enable it at all.

I believe there are so many ways you can implement backup codes (for example, if your concern is security, you can provide users with really long backup codes so hackers can't simply guess them).

If you, the 1Password team, could think about adding this in the future, I would be so grateful.

1Password Version: 8.10.16
Extension Version: 2.15.1
OS Version: Windows 11 Pro
Browser: Microsoft edge

Comments

• Hi @alicezinha,

Within 1Password you can create custom fields, you can use custom fields to add important details to your items, like security questions, PINs, multiple contact numbers, and more such as adding a section for any backup codes.

For more information on customizing your items, you can follow along with our Customize your 1Password items support article.

This discussion has been closed.