how do you launch a website directly from 1Password?

Options
SteveU75
SteveU75
Community Member
edited November 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I would like to be able to use I would like to open up 1Password And then use the list of websites, to automatically go to a website displayed in the list and fill in the password and log me in.

I do not see how to go to the website while looking at the 1Password entry for that website.

When I log into a website and when prompted by 1PW save password to 1Password and then try and go back to the site often, it takes me to a homepage and not the login screen.

It just adds a lot of friction when to quickly going to a new website

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @SteveU75! 👋

1Password will save the website address of the page that you were on when you saved your login for that website in 1Password. However, you can edit the Login item to include the website address of the login page itself:

1. Open your browser.
    2. Go to the website in question and open the sign-in page. Copy the sign-in page's address from the browser's address bar.
    3. Open and unlock the 1Password for Mac app.
    4. Find the Login item for the website and click Edit.
    5. Replace the existing website address with the website address that you copied in step 2.
    6. Save the item.

Then, going forward, you can click on the website address in that item to Open & Fill your login into the website.

I hope that helps! 🙂

-Dave

• SteveU75
    SteveU75
    Community Member
    Options

Once I edit all of the logins to go to the login page, how do I open 1PW and with one click go to website and login automatically.

I want to use 1PW as a website launcher as it has a list of my websites

• @SteveU75

Thanks for the reply. If you have 1Password in the browser installed, then you can launch a website from the desktop app in two clicks:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Mac.
    2. Click on the item whose website you want to open.
    3. Click on the website address.

Alternatively you can can use Quick Access:

1. Press Shift-Command-Spacebar to open Quick Access.
    2. Search for the item whose website you want to open.
    3. Press Option-Enter to open and fill the website.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Dave

• SteveU75
    SteveU75
    Community Member
    Options

When I login to a web site and 1password volunteers to save the password, the website location ends up being the home page vs the login page which results on me not being able to login with just one click.

Any Suggestions on how to fix, I know then I can just modify the website that is stored in 1password the next time I login but I was wondering if there was a way to have 1password Store the right website when it saves the password

• Hey @SteveU75,

Can you provide me with an example of a website whereby you have experienced this behaviour?

1Password should capture the URL of the login page you are on so if this is not the case I'd love to do some testing and see if we can improve this.