Moving From My Family to a New Family

Options
philippsch
philippsch
Community Member

Of course, here's the translation:

Hello,

I hope someone can assist me here. Currently, I'm using a 1Password Teams account with my family, and my girlfriend is also on it. However, my goal is to create a separate "Family" account for my girlfriend and me, distinct from the existing Family account.

What's the best and simplest way to do this without having to re-enter all our passwords and data?

I would love to still have for example some shared passwords with my dad and so on, or would you reccomend to stay in the original family account ?

Thanks in advance for your support!

Best regards,
Philipp

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• jimger
    jimger
    Community Member
    Options

I am keen for the answer here.
    I do have free family account from company account.
    Let's say though that another user might be 1Password member. How can I share a vault with that member since he/she is not part of my family. Can you share vaults outside of family?

Because if that member is paying through his own company/himself you still wanna share stuff between each other

• Hi there @philippsch

There's no simple answer to your question, since the solution will depend a lot on exactly what you're aiming to achieve.

That said, I saw you mentioned:

I would love to still have for example some shared passwords with my dad

In this situation, you might not need to make a new account at all – some changes to your existing account might do the job.

You could try removing the Shared vault and setting up a new one in its place, which only certain members of your family could access. You could have one for just you and your girlfriend, or you could also include your dad. Exactly how you set this up will be up to you.

This article may be helpful in this case: Create and share vaults.

Alternatively, having your dad as a Guest may be worth exploring: Share with guests in 1Password Families. Guests only get access to the vaults you choose and don't get their own Private vault like "full" family members. That may or may not be what you're looking for, but it's an option.

Have a look at the things I've linked above and if you have any questions about anything, let me know. :)

— Grey

• Tertius3
    Tertius3
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

It's also worth noting that one can be signed in into multiple accounts at the same time, and all available vaults from all accounts are seen at the same time. This enables one to move/copy items from any vault to any other vault, i. e. from any account to any other account. No need to export/import stuff - just copy/move (using the desktop client). And it's not required to completely leave one family to join another - you can just be signed in into both at the same time and just stay this way.

• you can just be signed in into both at the same time and just stay this way.

Indeed. Thanks Tertius3

This discussion has been closed.