Passkeys in Chrome - 1P not being triggered

Options
cryptochrome
cryptochrome
Community Member
edited October 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi,

I am normally working on a Mac, where everything seems fine. I occasionally have to work on Windows these days, and whenever I am trying to login to a site for which I have a passkey stored in 1P, instead of the 1P browser extension offering the passkey to login, I get the native Windows popup for passkeys/security keys.

How do I get 1P to react here?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @cryptochrome,

Can you let me know which browser you are using and the version of 1Password in your browser you have installed on Windows?

Thank you!

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @steph.giles,

this happens on Chrome 117.0.5938.150 (Official Build) (64-bit), but it also happened in previous versions of the browser.

The 1P extension is currently at version 2.15.1 - 21500107, on STABLE channel. But I had this issue with previous versions as well.

Here is a screenshot of what it looks like when I try to sign in to my Google account, which triggers the passkey workflow:

And here is a screenshot showing my Chrome settings for passwords (as you can see, 1P is integrated here):

Looks like Chrome is completely ignoring 1P when passkeys are requested.

Note that it works perfectly fine on macOS, with the same browser settings (they are actually synced).

Thanks
    Sascha

• Hey @cryptochrome,

Thanks for getting back to me.

If you click on the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar can you see the passkey saved within your Google login item?

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member
    Options

Yes @steph.giles, I can see it there.

• Hey @cryptochrome,

Can you confirm the date of the passkey created in 1Password? If it was created before Aug 9th 2023, let's delete the passkey in 1Password and your Google account. Then, let's re-create one to test.

Let us know how it goes.

--Kevin

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hi @kevin.li - I have 7 Google accounts (I know, I know). They all have passkeys, all created on June 9th (I think that's when Google made passkeys available to Workspace customer). I would really want to avoid having to delete and recreate them all.

What's the culprit, you think?

Just want to stress again that these very same passkeys work absolutely fine in Chrome on macOS.

• Hey @cryptochrome,

I understand the trouble of starting over your 7 Google accounts. Do you mind testing with one of the accounts and see if the newly created passkey would work there?

Meanwhile, do you have all of your Google accounts as the Workspace type?

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member
    Options

@kevin.li I just re-created one for one account, and that works. 1P on Chrome on Windows offers it to me when signing in and the login works.

So what's the problem with the previous one?

• @cryptochrome ,

Glad to hear that. But sorry that you will need to do that for the other accounts.

Those passkeys are created during the beta phase. We have improved the passkey-related workflow along the way, and so is Google. That's why we will need to create new passkeys after the updates.

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member
    Options

Got it. Thank you!

• @cryptochrome,

I just heard from our devs about a potentially easier workaround if you didn't redo the rest of your Google accounts.

Can you just open the saved login item with the (old/original) passkey? Then, edit the login and save it right away, you don't have to change anything there.

Then, can you test if the item would work for your Google passkey sign-in?

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member
    Options

Too late :) Already recreated them all. Was quicker and less painful than I thought. Thanks, though, for offering another solution!

• Hey @cryptochrome,

On behalf of Kevin, you're very welcome. Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

-Evon

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member
    Options

I am re-opening this thread, because again, 1P is not being triggered to present a passkey. And this time, I am not going to re-create all my passkeys. I did that the last time, that worked, now those new passkeys stopped working again. For a detailed issue description, refer to the first couple of posts in this thread.

• Dave_1P
    Options

@cryptochrome

I'm sorry that the issue has come back. Although the symptoms might be the same it's likely that the cause is different now and I'll need to investigate further to find a solution. I've read through the entire thread, so that I can better understand the issue as it exists today can you tell me the following:

1. Is the default Chrome interface for saving passkeys appearing when 1Password fails to show a prompt?
    2. Is the issue occurring on multiple websites or just for your Google account?
    3. What version of Chrome and 1Password in the browser are you using?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Dave_1P

1. Yes, exactly. Instead of 1P, I am shown the Windows default interface for passkeys
    2. I only tested this with Google, haven't tried anything else (I am normally not using Windows)
    3. My 1P auto-updates, so it was probably at the version that was current when I posted the message a few days ago.

Cheers
    Sascha

• Dave_1P
    Options

@cryptochrome

Thank you for answering those questions. So that I can investigate this further, I'd like to ask you to send in a console log when reproducing the issue:

Attach the file to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

-Dave