using passkeys without either app or extension installed

Options

Please forgive me if this is a repeat subject but i frequently access websites that i have personal sign ins on my work pc but I can not install 1Password on my work pc. I do have 1password installed on my cell phone. Several of these sites use passkeys now and i would like to be able to continue setting those up but I am unable to find out how to access these site using these passkeys without 1password being installed on the pc directly. the other issue that i have run into is several of the sites upon setting up the passkey have removed the option to sign in with a password.
Any help/guidance on this will be greatly appreciated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @Bruenore,

When you visit a website and you see the passkey prompt you should be able to open the camera on your phone and scan the QR code that is shown on the website. It should then offer to sign in with your passkey using 1Password.

Can you let me know if this flow works for you?

• Bruenore
    Bruenore
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @steph.giles
    Unfortunately that does not work. I opened 1Password on my phone and attempted to scan a qr code (from Google.com) but my camera app just froze for a few moments and then nothing else occurred and the site did not acknowledge the passkey.

• Hello @Bruenore,

Thanks for getting back to us. I'm sorry you are having troubles with this work flow when attempting to scan the QR for your Google passkey. Have you had any luck with other supported websites or is Google only causing problems? I've not been able to replicate this when attempting to sign in to Google with my iPhone.

Could you confirm what type of mobile device you are using and 1Password is updated to the latest version?

I'm looking forward to your reply.

• Bruenore
    Bruenore
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_mike_d,
    No this is not limited to Google.com. I am getting this behavior on all sites that I have setup this up on.
    As for my phone, its a Galaxy S23 running Android 13 and app version 8.10.16. When I check the Google Play Store, it shows that everything is up to date. Same when checking for OS updates.

• Hello @Bruenore ,

Thank you for following up and for providing those additional details. Saving and signing in with passkeys is currently only available for 1Password in the browser and iOS devices.

At the moment, Google is working on Android 14 and APIs that will enable password managers like 1Password to create and use passkeys inside Chrome and any other app that has added passkey support.

1Password is ready and will support these APIs as soon as they're available, giving you the option to save and sign in with passkeys on Android 14 phones and tablets.

Let us know if you have any questions moving forward, and we'll gladly assist you further.

This discussion has been closed.