Is there a way to create a custom login item with the password concealed?

Options
Backspaze
Backspaze
Community Member
edited October 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

The site https://www.scheduler.mastodon.tools/ has two fields that need to be filled to log in; Instance URL and Access token. Is there any way to create a login item in 1Password for autofill on this site while using a Password field in 1Password so that the password is concealed?

I've inspected the HTML code and collected the page structure through 1Password in the browser and figured that I should be able to use the Id of the respective fields, which are instance and accessToken.

I've created two custom fields in 1Password as shown in the screenshot below.

For the instance field I chose the custom field type URL and renamed url to instance as I figured that was the way to tell 1Password which field to fill, but it works no matter what the little header for the field in 1Password says.

For the accessToken I chose the field type Password, but no matter what I name the field, it doesn't autofill the Access token. Autofill only works if I add a text field in 1Password and name it accessToken, but that means that the token isn't concealed and there's no way to conceal it.

Is there any way to use Password custom field in 1Password in this scenario, or will I have to make do with a text field where the password isn't concealed?

1Password Version: 8.10.18 (81018019)
Extension Version: 2.16.1 (21600101)
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 22H2
Browser: Firefox

Comments

• Hello @Backspaze,

Thanks for your question. It sounds like you are using the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + \ Autofill those details from the custom text field you created.

By default, password fields are concealed, but due to the structure of this page and the inability to change the default Password field to accessToken, it's only possible to Autofill from a renamed field, other than password, such as URL or text fields.

We've had several feature requests where customers would like to be able to set fields as concealable on a field-by-field basis and I'd be happy to pass your feedback along to the Product team. While I can't make any promises about a feature like this making it in to 1Password, just let me know if this suggestion would work so I can get started on a feature request for you.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions I can pass along! Thanks!

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_mike_d thanks for getting back to me.

It doesn't matter if I use the keyboard shortcut or click on autofill in 1Password in the browser, the result is the same.

I'm using a custom password field, since you can't change the name of the default Password field as you mentioned, and I figured that it would bypass the default Password field if there's no data in that field. But, as mentioned, changing the name of the custom password field to accessToken doesn't make a difference.

In the end it doesn't matter which kind of field it is, as long as the field is concealable and autofilling works, so please do pass my feedback along to the Product team.

• Hello again @Backspaze,

Thanks for getting back to me. I hope all is well this morning.

I'm experiencing the same when testing and thought creating a custom (renamed) password field might have done the trick. I've passed these findings along to the team as well as opened a feature request commenting about the possibility to conceal other field types.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know!

ref: PB 36159834
    ref: dev/core/core#24495

• Hello again @Backspaze,

Sorry for the delay in response. I've received a follow up from the team and wanted to pass along some details. The ability to fill a concealed field into a text field on a website, will not be possible. As the accessToken field is a text field, custom passwords will not fill and is expected behavior.

Though it can not be concealed within 1Password, your workaround of using a custom text field is the best option for this particular website.

As previously noted, a separate feature was requested for consideration to include the ability conceal other field types within 1Password.

Thanks and have a great day!

• Backspaze
    Backspaze
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_mike_d thanks for the follow up, appreciate it, even though there will be no solution for this particular issue from 1Password. I'll leave it to the web site admin to perhaps update the field to a password field instead of a text field.

• You're most welcome, @Backspaze.