Browser login with passkey is too complex

Options
frnkr
frnkr
Community Member
edited October 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

Hi, I'm testing passkey with my Google Workplace account and the steps are:

1. Verify it's you (click 'Next')
  2. Use your passkey to confirm that it’s really you (click 'Continue')
  3. 1password Prompt: sign in with passkey (click 'Sign in')

I mean it's not bad but 1Password should prompt already in step 1. and the rest should be automagical making the login a one-click process. Now the login has more steps than with a password 🤌

Any chance this could be streamlined?

1Password Version: 8.10.16
Extension Version: 2.15.1
OS Version: ventura 13.5
Browser: chrome

Comments

• Komma
    Komma
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, but that's kind of Google's fault. Before even entering your email there should be a button for passkey sign in, all the other clicks from Google are unnecessary.

• Hey @frnkr, @Komma,

I see where you are coming from. In an ideal world passkeys would be the primary option for sign in so we'd hope to see this flow improved. It will also vary based on the website that you are on.

As for the 1Password prompt appearing in Step 1, we first need the user to enter the email for their account before we offer the passkey.

If you have any further suggestions I'd be happy to pass these on to our product team for consideration.

• vfontes303
    vfontes303
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @steph.giles ,

It would be nice to have an option to skip the prompt when using a passkey. I understand it is shown to allow the user to pick another factor such as a Yubikey, but still, being able to skip the prompt entirely would speed up things.

• @vfontes303

Thank you for the suggestion. The prompt is shown, and requires that you click on it, in order to prevent websites from invisibly and automatically logging you in without your consent.

-Dave

• vfontes303
    vfontes303
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P makes sense. How about having a website whitelist, then?

• 9elsen
    9elsen
    Community Member
    Options

The passkey login experience at github.com is the best I have seen so far. It does not even ask for a username :-)

• Hey @vfontes303,

I see where you are coming from however, 1Password will not log you in to a website without you actively telling it to do so. When you see the passkey prompt, hitting the Enter key on your keyboard should log you in, you may find this easier.

I agree, @9elsen. The github.com sign in with a passkey experience is pretty seamless!