1P Doesn't autofill app in iOS

Options
Steve2365
Steve2365
Community Member
edited October 2023 in iOS

I use an app from my health plan. I can also log into their system via a browser (Safari). 1P has a login that autofills correctly in the browser, but 1P doesn't recognize the app. In other words, I go to the app and 1P doesn't offer to fill in the login details. I can do it manually by finding the item in 1P, but it would be easier if 1P understood which app it is and used the login automatically. Can anybody offer a suggestion? Many thanks in advance.

1Password Version: 8.10.16
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 17.0.3
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hello @Steve2365! 👋

I'm sorry that you're not receiving a suggestion for the correct login when using your health app on your iPhone or iPad. On the iPhone AutoFill is specifically handled by iOS through an Apple feature named iOS Password AutoFill and 1Password only provides the data for the experience.

You can read more about using AutoFill here: Use 1Password to save logins and sign in to apps and websites on your iPhone and iPad

Password AutoFill will match the apps that you use to your login items in 1Password by taking the associated domain associated with an app and comparing it against the website URL in your login items. If there is a match then Password AutoFill will offer to fill your login information.

If your login item is not being suggested for a particular app then you'll need to add the app's associated domain to your login item in 1Password. When you tap on the username or password field in an app you'll see the Password AutoFill prompt appear (above your keyboard), tap on the prompt and then search for the appropriate login item. Then, tap on that Login Item and tap Fill & Update Login.

If you don't see Fill & Update Login when you search for and tap on a Login Item then it means that the developer of that app hasn't added an associated domain and there is nothing for Password AutoFill to use to match the app to a Login item in 1Password. This means that you'll need to search for the correct Login item.

You can also contact the developer of an app to have them add a specific URL as an associated domain for their app so that you don't need to manually add another URL to your login items. Here is Apple's developer page regarding associated domains: Supporting Associated Domains | Apple Developer Documentation

-Dave

• Steve2365
    Steve2365
    Community Member
    Options

Dave,

Thanks so much for responding!

Got it. Thanks. The Fill & Update Login prompt never appears. If I search for the item and select it, the login simply fills in -- I don't get any other option.

So I guess this is the fault of the developer.

Another thing that threw me ... if I tap on the password field I get a bubble that says "Passwords". If I tap that rather than the "Passwords" item that appears over the keyboard, I am taken to the iOS keychain passwords. That was frustrating at first because the thing item has the same name either way. And yes, I know that you said "above your keyboard" -- so I guess we can chalk this one up to user error

Thanks again, Dave.

Steve

• On behalf of Dave, you're most welcome.

This discussion has been closed.