To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Changing account password when travelling

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Lost master password.

Comments

• HNofX82
    HNofX82
    Community Member
    Options

It really gives me shivers considering that both master password and secret keys are soo important for retriving the account completely.

I can keep my secret key safe in multiple places, but there is a maximum possibility of losing matter password.

Specially after you change the same (mostly can happen during traveling)

I hope one more layer to retrieve password alongwith any 1 of these to be added.
    Phone/Email etc.. Can be brainstormed..

• HNofX82
    HNofX82
    Community Member
    Options

I thought I might receive a reply to my post. Kindly reply.

Or can move my post to a new topic please, this is really very important for a user to move his decade trust from an app to 1PW till trust.

• @HNofX82

The community is often user based replies. We try to get to everyone but at sometimes it's not humanly possible. There are far far more of my colleagues on the email support team. If you need a reply in a quick or in a specific time frame I always suggest emailing support. support@1password.com

Your password is 1/2 of the combination of your data. The Secret Key is the other 1/2. There is no other way to access the data. You need both. This is how 1Password is designed.

I'd recommend saving your Emergency Kit (It contains your Secret Key) and keeping it in something like a safe. Write your password on it. I have a copy shared in relatives homes. Some of my relatives are also setup to help with account recovery. * Recovery is not available in individual memberships.

🚑 Recover accounts for family or team members

🚒 Emergency Kit

• HNofX82
    HNofX82
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply.
    I don't have issues saving secret key in multiple places (I am going to do this) my only problem being, when I change master password...there is a maximum possibility of loosing this, only when I am traveling..
    Most of times it becomes necessary to change matter password and that moment if forgot same...

If Atleast 1PW allows me to take complete backup every week.
    I opened another topic for that.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Why would you need to change you master password when traveling?

• HNofX82
    HNofX82
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

While traveling for meetings, there is maximum possibility, someone might check in my passwords while entering same on laptop.

None of the other, I am required to login to developer machines to do my work (which cannot be done via laptop), I require to be logged in to password manager at same time

I am not concerned about secret key at all, as I will manage same in multiple places.

• Zaka7
    Zaka7
    Community Member
    Options

@HNofX82 I am one of many that chose 1 Password specifically because you need both of these elements. It makes it inherently more secure than the other offerings on the market. I don't think 1PW should weaken their security to cater to those who cannot remember both, as unfortunate as it is when it does happen of course.

Although when traveling for meetings, you could create a guest account with only the information you need (and a separate master password) which will not expose your data, or alternatively you could utilise travel mode which is another great 1PW offering.

I'm not sure if I fully understand your scenario correctly as I find it strange that you seem certain people would check your passwords If that is the case I wouldn't want to be using ANY personal password manager on ANY of those machines anyway. No matter how many times you changed the password.

• HNofX82
    HNofX82
    Community Member
    Options

Although when traveling for meetings, you could create a guest account with only the information you need (and a separate master password) which will not expose your data, or alternatively you could utilise travel mode which is another great 1PW offering.

Thanks I had no idea about this features.. I think making a guest account which gives access to everything is more feasible option ?

• Dave_1P
    edited October 2023
    Options

@HNofX82

Thanks for the reply. I've split your posts into a new thread since they're of a new topic from the original post.

You can learn more about creating a guest account here: Share with guests in 1Password Families

While traveling for meetings, there is maximum possibility, someone might check in my passwords while entering same on laptop.

I'm also not understanding the threat model here. You shouldn't need to regularly change your account password. Can you tell me a little more about your situation? Is it your laptop or another person's laptop that you're logging into 1Password with when travelling? Who is the "someone" who might be trying to guess your account password and how would they do this?

-Dave

• HNofX82
    HNofX82
    Community Member
    Options

Can you tell me a little more about your situation? Is it your laptop or another person's laptop that you're logging into 1Password with when travelling?

While presenting stuff on events on large screens, there are people surrounding me all the time.
    I present crucial data from laptop which has to be locked/unlocked as required.
    HEnce, I need to change the password often during this events. Still it will always be an added advantage to recover password third way (half password on email and half on phone via sms) atleast for users like me.

• Dave_1P
    edited October 2023
    Options

@HNofX82

Thanks for the reply. Are you worried that people will see you type your account password into the 1Password app during these presentations? If so then have you considered using biometric unlock so that you don't need to type in your account password all the time:

Do you need to unlock 1Password during the presentation itself? Why not login to the websites and apps that you need before the presentation starts and then keep 1Password locked for the duration of the presentation?

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.