Vault sharing between business and family needs to be a feature

Options
rfdb
rfdb
Community Member
edited October 2023 in Business and Teams

I've used 1pass for years, so I have a family account for personal stuff. I work for a sizeable company, so I have a business account. There's a gray area of stuff that is definitely business-related, but also personal, and should be available at work or at home but not available to other people. A separate vault, if you will. Timesheet or travel expense might be examples of that.

I'm not an admin on the business account, so that limits what I can do at work. I use separate passwords for the two accounts. I don't really want fuss with the extra password to unlock my whole personal vault at work, or the whole business vault at home, just for something trivial like filling in my timesheet at work or filing a sick notice from home.

I thought I would invite my work account as a guest to my family so it would automatically get access to all work-work and work-personal stuff at the same time. But apparently that's not allowed, 1pass just wants to create a separate personal/family account with that email. Ok, so I'll do that and give it the same work password so both business-work and family-work accounts would unlock at the same time. But I can't do that either, because 1pass blocks me from ever logging in as both family-work and family-home accounts at the same time. I have explicitly log out of one to use the other. That indicates to me that it must also be painful for someone to be a member of two families.

It's so easy to share a link to a single password and control it's access for a day, week, or month. Why is it so hard for a vault, when all the team stuff and family stuff is already based around vault-sharing?

1Password Version: 8.10.16
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: mac 11, win 10
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_max
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hi @rfdb, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback and feature request.

The ability to directly share vaults between two accounts has been requested before, so I've shared this internally so our team can review this and better address this in the future. Right now, vaults are tied to a specific account and cannot be shared or accessed in other accounts due to how the 1Password accounts are designed.

For now, you can use the same account password for both 1Password accounts if you have a family and business account. That way, you can unlock all accounts simultaneously in the 1Password 8 apps and extensions, so you can access your work and family vaults on the same devices. Each account will still remain protected by a unique Secret Key.

ref: pb-36232908