Turn off passkey prompt

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Disable prompt for passkeys in 1Password X.

Comments

• glemanr
    glemanr
    Community Member
    Options

+1 to Thomas - this breaks my login flow for corporate systems. I have to manually close the window every single time I log in (dozens of times per day or more). Very annoying.

• edgood1
    edgood1
    Community Member
    Options

+1 I'm also experiencing this same issue. It would be great to have the option to disable passkey functionality in the browser.

• ag_tommy
    edited October 2023
    Options

I've added your comments for the products team review. @glemanr @ThomasChristo

@edgood1

Can you clarify if you are looking to turn passkeys off or if you are looking for the section within Watchtower? I want to make sure I am on the correct path.

ref: PB-35925587

• glemanr
    glemanr
    Community Member
    Options

I’m looking to disable the in-browser prompt for passkeys, which would be fine if it can be disabled overall or for a specific site.

The prompt breaks the default focus of the page, so I can’t use my hardware mfa and continue logging in. I instead have to close the pass key prompt, select the mfa input, and hit my hardware device.

• bc8465
    bc8465
    Community Member
    Options

+1 The prompt breaks default page focus, making it impossible to continue using a hardware mfa without first dismissing the banner. Really frustrating that this adds extra steps to log in every time.

• auman66
    auman66
    Community Member
    Options

+1 - I'm hoping on the "please fix this" train in hopes the engineering teams prioritize this. Its VERY frustrating and making me debate on disabling the browser plugin all together.

• tennantje
    tennantje
    Community Member
    Options

+1 Hardware MFA is mandated for many of the systems that I access on a day-to-day basis. These Passkey popups need to be disabled based on a regex match, or deny-listed for specific URLs or domains.

• Dave_1P
    edited October 2023
    Options

@glemanr, @bc8465, @ThomasChristo, @edgood1, @auman66, and @tennantje

Thank you for the feedback. We've recently introduced a change to the latest version of the extension to make using a security key easier:

If you close the prompt to save or use a passkey, the browser or system will offer to handle the passkey request.

When you encounter the need to use your security key, you'll be able to press the escape key on your keyboard to dismiss the prompt and then use your security key. I'd love to hear if this new functionality helps or if there's more we can do to make using the extension easier for this use case.

For those who would like to turn off passkeys for 1Password in the browser entirely you can follow these steps:

1. Right-click on the 1Password icon in the toolbar.
    2. Click Settings.
    3. Click Autofill.
    4. Turn off "Offer to save and sign in with passkeys".

-Dave

• tennantje
    tennantje
    Community Member
    Options

Great, but I need to do this several times a day, I’d still rather it was deny-listed on urls or domains.

• @tennantje

Thank you for the feedback, I've passed it along to the team. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-36244727

• bc8465
    bc8465
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, it is certainly more helpful to be able to press the Escape key to dismiss the prompt.

I would also like the ability to add specific URLs to a deny-list so that I can turn off the passkey prompt only for specific domains. In general, I do want to have passkey prompts enabled -- but there are just specific domain names where I have to always use a hardware key and don't want the passkey prompt.

• @bc8465

Thank you for writing in with the request, I've passed it along to the team. We appreciate the feedback. 🙂

-Dave

ref: PB-36592357

• McX
    McX
    Community Member
    Options

Adding another voice to this. Esc is an improvement, but it has already stolen the focus and it doesn't go back to the input field so I still have to navigate the mouse and click before I can use my hardware token. There should be a way to turn it off for a particular site and also all up as I will never use this feature on my work computer and I'm going to have to uninstall 1password if I can't turn it off.

• McX
    McX
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, I just found a way that works.
    1. Right-click on the browser extension icon for 1Password
    2. Choose Settings
    3. Choose Watchtower
    4. Turn off "Offer to save and sign in with passkeys"

I was previously looking under Security vs Watchtower.

• Hey @McX,

I'm sorry for the disruption, I hope we can improve the behaviour for you in a future update.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with in the meantime.