With the new API in Android 14, should we expect smoother integration compared to using Autofill?

Options
peepay
peepay
Community Member

A lot has been said about the new and awaited Credential Manager API in Android 14 that will allow for passkey support. However, are there any benefits from this for filling in good old usernames and passwords, is there any change regarding this? Is the system implementation more "proper" using this API, should the experience be smoother than with Autofill framework on Android 13 and below?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 14
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• peepay
    peepay
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, anyone, please? :)

• peepay
    peepay
    Community Member
    Options

Well, it seems I need to answer this myself. I contacted 1Password's support and this was the response, for anyone else wondering:

In practice, yes, we would expect smoother 1Password integration compared to using Autofill. When password type in CredentialManager is supported in both the calling app and 1Password, users will get a much smoother and consistent experience. It eliminates the need for 1Password to identify fields. Instead, all supported credential providers will rely on the system for this process. 1Password’s responsibility will be to only return the item data for a specific website.
    It also streamlines the process for app and website developers as they only need to optimize their registration and sign-in screens to work with CredentialManager. But that’s also the challenging part, developers must support CredentialManager in their apps for this to work.

At this point, we don’t know of any apps or browser apps that support the password functionality of CredentialManager.

• Hi @peepay, my apologies for the delay. Thanks very much for following up with the response you received from my colleague. Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.