Saving security keys as passkeys for my Google account

Options

Comments

• AlmoEnd
    AlmoEnd
    Community Member
    Options

Following up on this; 1P version is 8.10.16 on Ubuntu 22.04.3. Wondering how to integrate the Yubikey(s) I own with Google Passkeys, is 1P even involved in that? Do I need to turn off 2FA?

• Hi @AlmoEnd,

According to the screenshot, I can see that 1Password created a passkey for your Google account successfully. May I confirm if you want to use Yubikey to create a passkey instead?

If that is the case, let's click on the "+ Create a passkey" button, and then, on the 1Password prompt window, let's click the security key icon or the "X" button (it should also fallback to select the Yubikey now):

Let me know if that worked for you.

• AlmoEnd
    AlmoEnd
    Community Member
    Options

Guess "instead" versus "as well as" is my real question. Can't save the same "passkey" both places, from everything I've read, so I guess what I'm aiming for is Yubikey as a backup in the remote chance I lose access to 1Password?

• AlmoEnd
    AlmoEnd
    Community Member
    Options

Well, still having an issue with saving any passkey in Firefox/Linux. Is it supported (by Google)? I don't see it on their list of browsers IIRC.

• Hey @AlmoEnd,

I'm sorry for the delayed response.

Can you let us know which version of 1Password in the browser you have installed in Firefox?

You can find out by right clicking the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choosing Settings > About.

• AlmoEnd
    AlmoEnd
    Community Member
    Options

1Password in the browser 2.15.1

21500107, on STABLE channel

• AlmoEnd
    AlmoEnd
    Community Member
    Options

219.0 MozFF just released ... does it support passkeys?

• AlmoEnd
    AlmoEnd
    Community Member
    Options

Google support just told me they don't support Linux OS with Chrome and the problem has to do with using 1P to save the keys. So firefox is probably acting cranky for the same reason!

• Thank you for getting back to me @AlmoEnd.

You should be able to use passkeys to save and sign in on the version of 1Password you have installed in Firefox.

Can you test this website for me with the following steps and let me know how it goes:

1. Go to passkeys.io
    2. Enter your email and choose 'Sign up'
    3. Choose 'Create a passkey'

Do you see a prompt so save a passkey from 1Password in the right hand corner of your screen?

• AlmoEnd
    AlmoEnd
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Steph, is that supposed to allow me to open 1Password with a Passkey? Windows Hello implementation is flawed, I have been reading, and maybe in Linux I'm stuck with the Password authentication? I'll try your suggestion and report back.

• AlmoEnd
    AlmoEnd
    Community Member
    Options

OK did 3. above and no, did not see a prompt from 1P even though it is unlocked. I did see the image below, not helpful (mouse with no clickable buttons :)

• AlmoEnd
    AlmoEnd
    Community Member
    Options

Worked in Chrome, same OS (Ubuntu 22.04.3)