Never works for Android Apps

Options
nym2226
nym2226
Community Member

I am on a Pixel 8 Pro on Android 14, but had the same exact experience on a Pixel 7 on Android 13. Whenever I open an app, 1password cannot find a login, and even when you try to search for it, it returns nothing. You can then open the 1password app directly on Android or any other platform, use the same exact search words, and it finds what you are looking for. So for example, you could be trying to log in to the CNN app, inside the app, 1password says no matches, you search for CNN and no matches found. You then open the 1password app directly, search for CNN and it returns the CNN credentials. This appears to happen for every single app under every circumstance

1Password Version: 8.10.16
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 14
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @nym2226, thanks for writing in. I'm sorry there has been an issue searching for items in the autofill menu.

To start I'd like to ask you to confirm items you've searched for through the Autofill menu, such as your CNN item, have titles. The search in the autofill menu returns results by title only, so if your item doesn't have a title, or the title doesn't match what you're searching, the item won't be returned.

If that doesn't appear to be an issue I'd like to ask you to set filling suggestions to all accounts, then confirm it's the same in the autofill menu:
    1. Open and unlock 1Password for Android.
    2. Tap the account or collection icon.
    3. Tap Settings > Autofill.
    4. Tap Show filling suggestions from.
    5. Select All Accounts, or the primary account.

Next in the autofill menu, tap the icon in the top right, confirm All Accounts or the same account is selected, then try searching. Let us know how that goes and thanks again!

• nym2226
    nym2226
    Community Member
    Options

Those settings were already set like that. I undid them and then redid them as you requested, nothing changed. Autofill works fine in Chrome, doesnt work for any app and doesnt return any search results when looking inside an app

• Hi @nym2226, thanks for checking that. I'm sorry search and Autofill still aren't working as expected.

Just to confirm before proceeding, do the items you're searching for through Autofill have titles? You can check this by opening the item in 1Password for Android, the title should appear next to the item icon.

If items, such as your CNN login, do have titles, I'd like to ask you to try searching for a new test item:
    1. In 1Password for Android, create a new item with a searchable title, such as "test".
    2. Open an app such as CNN.
    3. Tap a sign in field, then select "Open 1Password" (if you don't see "Open 1Password", long press the sign in field, then tap ⋮ > Autofill in the context menu).
    4. Search for your test item.

Does the search return your test item? If not I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Android device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Android)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/142855/never-works-for-android-apps#latest
    • Your forum username: nym2226

You should receive a reply from our autoresponder with a support number. Please post that number here. Thanks again!

• xd003
    xd003
    Community Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

@ag_timothy i have always noticed that in quite many apps, 1password won't show up at all in the sign in field initially. i have to long press the sign in field and tap on autofill in the context menu as you have pointed out. Can't 1password appear directly without us having to do these steps, its bit inconvenient. On another note, some other password managers show up directly without having to long press -> autofill thing so i am assuming it can't be a android restriction but something that 1password needs to work on ?

• Hey @xd003, although we cannot speak to the way other password managers are handling Autofill, there are a few factors that can complicate the Autofill process on 1Password for Android. When Autofill doesn't work as expected, it can be due to how a browser or app is developed, due to their specific sign-in page and how it's coded, due to the Autofill service itself not detecting the fillable fields and letting us know, or due to us doing something incorrectly. This is why you may see different behaviours and issues in different apps and sites. When issues arise, we test them out and report them to our developers, so they can further investigate. That's why we really appreciate when you bring these filling issues to our attention.

Would you be able to share any examples? This will allow us to test on our end.