Is there a way to sort multiple accounts on the same domain?

Options
tobogranyte
tobogranyte
Community Member
edited October 2023 in iOS

For a variety of reasons, I have many, many google logins. Well over 20 as far as I know. They are all managed in 1Password. The problem is that on iOS, whenever I need to use one of these, 1Password presents me with the entire list, but completely unsorted. And the order isn't even the same from one use to the other. The order seems to be completely random. What this means is that every single time I need to use one of these logins, I never know exactly where it's going to be and I have to scan the entire list, item by item, looking for the email address that I want to use to log in. Is there a way to have these always sorted the same way so I can find the one I want quicker?

1Password Version: 8.10.1 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @tobogranyte! πŸ‘‹

Thank you for the feedback! Are you referring to the list of 1Password items presented by iOS AutoFill or the list of items in the 1Password window itself after you tap on the key icon above the keyboard when filling an item?

To help me better understand the situation I'd like to ask you to take a screenshot of what you're seeing and attach it to your reply:

Make sure to redact any sensitive information.

Is there a way to have these always sorted the same way so I can find the one I want quicker?

What kinds of sorting options are you looking for? Sorting by title? By date created? Something else? I look forward to hearing from you. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• tobogranyte
    tobogranyte
    Community Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hi Dave.

Thanks for your reply! I'm talking about the list that comes up after clicking the key icon in iOS. Below is an image.

[Image removed for privacy -1Password Support]

For the record, I counted and there are well over 30 logins for me under accounts.google.com.

Here are my thoughts on what would be most useful:

I want the list sorted alphabetically by username (or email) so that I can quickly scan for the email or username I'm looking for based on where it belongs in the alphabet.

Another approach which would be more useful in some situations but less so in others would be to sort by last date used, with most recent at the top. In my most common use case, that would ultimately be faster. But in situations where I did need to find one that I hadn't used in some time, it wouldn't be as useful as a simple alphabetical sort on email/username.

Does that all make sense? Thanks again for your attention.

Tom

• Dave_1P
    edited October 2023
    Options

@tobogranyte

Thanks for posting the screenshot, I removed it because it lists your email addresses and family name but it was very helpful in understanding your suggestion.

I agree that better sorting here would be useful and I've filed a feature request on your behalf with our product team. While I can't make any promises, they'll consider your feedback to plan potential changes to how items are sorted here in the future.

For the time being, have you considered using collections to organize your items? You can read more about collections here: Use collections to create custom groups of vaults

Once you've created your collections you can switch between collections by using the icon in the top left corner of the screen in your screenshot:

-Dave

ref: PB-36405603
    ref: dev/core/core#6211

• tobogranyte
    tobogranyte
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Dave.

I appreciate you having the forethought to remove the image. It didn't occur to me that having those emails (or family name) in an image could be problematic from a security/privacy standpoint, but I guess I'm not really an expert on that.

Thanks for the reply and for filing the feature request. I actually run a small product and engineering team, so I understand how input like this is usually processed. I would never expect promises in response to a customer feature requests.

And thanks for the suggestion about collections, but do you believe that collections are a way to make logging into one of these many accounts easier when using 1Password? It's not clear how that would be helpful.

Tom

• @tobogranyte

Thanks for the reply. Regarding the suggestion for collections: you can place your Google accounts into separate vaults and then group those vaults into collections. This would allow you to more quickly be able to find the correct Google account login.

For example: if you knew that you wanted to login using a Google account for work then you would switch to your "work" collection and only see logins relevant to work.

It's not a perfect suggestion but I mentioned it in case it helps. πŸ™‚

-Dave

• tobogranyte
    tobogranyte
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave. One more thing occurred to me that is related to this, but probably a different feature request. The flow I was describing above is merely the first step in the login process, where I am identifying a username or email. In the example of Google where this is most problematic for me, username/email is step 1, and then entering a password is a separate step 2, meaning it's a separate screen. This means that I need to invoke 1Password a second time using the key icon to get the password. In the first step, 1Password has no idea what username I want yet, so it presents everything, hence the need for a sort. However, in step 2, Google is already displaying the email address or username on the screen above where I need to enter the password. In the browser plugin for 1Password, it automatically reads that and presents the matching option first on the list every time. But for some reason, iOS does not pay any attention to the username/email on the screen and shows me the same long list of accounts a second time and once again, I need to read through to find the one I want. For that second screen in iOS, rather than show everything and sort alphabetically like the request for the first screen, 1Password for iOS should just do the same thing as 1Password for browser and scrape the text on the screen and show the matching account right at the top every time.

Does that make sense?

• @tobogranyte

For that second screen in iOS, rather than show everything and sort alphabetically like the request for the first screen, 1Password for iOS should just do the same thing as 1Password for browser and scrape the text on the screen and show the matching account right at the top every time.

Thanks for the suggestion. When using iOS AutoFill, 1Password only provides the data for the experience and isn't responsible for detecting and filling fields. iOS AutoFill doesn't allow 1Password to see what's on the page so we wouldn't be able to "scrape" anything. Improvements in this behaviour would have to be made by Apple.

When using the browser extension, we have more visibility into the page and handle the detection and filling ourselves which is why the experience is different. 1Password's filling brain, which is what the extension uses, is able to identify two-page logins and fill the appropriate username and password across the two pages.

-Dave