Feature Request: Add "Numbers" to Memorable Password

Options
nahtnam
nahtnam
Community Member
edited October 2023 in 1Password in the Browser

I am currently a BitWarden user. As stupid as this sounds, the one thing thats stopping me from switching to 1pass is the password generation tool. I would like the option for including a number while retaining the dash separators. An example would be something like this: Giblet-Gloomy-Plural3-Ravage (not used anywhere)

Bonus point of the capitalization can be one letter instead of the whole word but thats not a big deal.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Browser: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @nahtnam! 👋

Thank you for the suggestion! I would be happy to file a feature request on your behalf, can you tell me a little more about why you'd like to see numbers and dashes in the same memorable password? The default memorable passwords are already considered strong without any additional numbers. As long as each word is random, the complete passphrase can be just as difficult for an attacker to crack as a password that contains characters, letters, and symbols.

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• nahtnam
    nahtnam
    Community Member
    Options

@Dave_1P Hey! It's because many sites require that a password has a number and sometimes even a symbol. I like memorable passwords because if I'm on a public computer and I need to look at the password on my phone, it's pretty easy to remember 4 words and type it as opposed to something like this: tSZLBy4bPzJNubJPmv. It would be great if it was:

• Generate n number of words separated by dashes (easy to type and read)
    • After one of the words, insert a random number
    • After one of the words (other than the one with a number), insert a random symbol

This would pass probably > 90% of password requirements while being super easy to read and input

• Thanks for these additional details, @nahtnam!

Having sometimes added numbers to generated memorable passwords myself, I can certainly see the merit in adding this option. I've filed a feature request on your behalf for further consideration.

Let me know if you have any questions in the meantime and thanks for taking the time to share your insight. 🙂

ref: PB-36433489