Turn off "Save in 1Password"

Options

I've got an unusual case. I have deployed 1Password/Mac as a solution for an elderly user with memory challenges. My thought is that having to remember only two passwords (MacOS and 1Password) would help simplify has online experience which includes logging in many online accounts. The problem is, he forgets how to use 1Password and attempts to manually enter login info in a given web site login field instead of clicking and selecting the 1Password dropdown choice. 1Password then offers to save the new (usually incorrect) password which is creates a new incorrect instance...not to mention that he doesn't get logged in.

Question: How can the "Save in 1Password" offer be inhibited?

I am thinking of disabling 1Password if this can't be made to work.

1Password Version: 1Password for Mac 8.10.18 (81018040)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 13.41
Browser: Safari

Comments

• Hey @jbschwartz55,

Thank you for sharing your use case.

There isn't a way to disable to 'Save in 1Password' option without disabling the autofill menu altogether including the username/password suggestions that appear beneath the field.

With that being said we could disable the autofill menu and then your user can click on the 1Password icon within the field when they want to use 1Password to fill their credentials.

Here are the steps if you would like to give it a try:

Right click the 1Password icon in the toolbar of your browser > Click Settings > Autofill > Toggle off 'Show autofill menu on field focus'.

Let us know how you get on!

• jbschwartz55
    jbschwartz55
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Steph,

Thank you for your suggestion. I'm afraid that it doesn't help the issue.

To review, I am employing 1Password as a tool for an elderly memory-challeged user.

In this particular case the user fails to remember that they need to simply click in the desired login form ONCE and select from the 1Password list. Instead they attempt to type a password that they previously used, which inhibits the 1Password list. Worse..1Password offers to save the new (usually incorrect) password, resulting in a multiple records for the same login, and usually wrong. Plus, he doesn't succeed in logging in.

I did adjust the setting you suggested above, but it is a dual purpose setting. Offering to FILL and SAVE password are two different things. In this case, I'm looking for FILL ONLY and NOT offer to SAVE.

Despite its usefulness, I am forced witht the decision to stop using 1Password for this challenged user.

This is more than a tech support issue. Here's an offer. If you have access to Product Managers who determine product direction, can you ask them if they are interested in getting first hand experience with a cognitve-challenged user? This could be the start of a whole new feature set for 1Password.

• @jbschwartz55

I'm sorry for the delay in responding. I can definitely pass along your feedback and kind offer to our product team.

One suggestion did come to mind, what if you removed 1Password (the extension) from the user's browser entirely and just asked them to use Universal Autofill to fill their passwords. When they encounter a login page they would only ever need to remember to press Command-Backslash to fill their login and Universal AutoFill doesn't have the ability to save anything that they might type into the login fields on a webpage. You can learn more about Universal Autofill here: Use Universal Autofill in apps and browsers on your Mac

You would want to also make sure that the built-in password manager in their browser is turned off.

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Dave

• jbschwartz55
    jbschwartz55
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply, Dave.

Sitting alongside the 84 year old user who suffers from Parkinson and some level of memory loss, I'm always suprised by what he remembers...and doesn't remember... and at any given time. He remembers an old password we replaced a year ago, but not how to click the 1Password icon to unlock.

I couldn't possibly get him to use Command-BackSlash.

So, I recently turned off 1Password and now he is back to using pen and paper to record his logins, the main problem with this... aside from security...is his declining penmanship and not paying attention to password case.

Getting old sucks.

Thanks for your help.